Dream Home.....Nightmare Pool

The water can look clean but not be properly disinfected and have nasty stuff living in it like bacteria at your 2ppm with a CYA of 50. Having a small child in there I really think you should keep it up around 6, 4ppm minimum for everyones safety per the CYA/chlorine chart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
Long before algae starts back up and warns you with a green tint you could have germs floating around in there.

Any new pics to show of everything looking perfect?

I finally worked up the patience to try locating a new pool professional that will come evaluate/repair my liner issues (see the post in the beginning of the thread). Right now, The pool looks the same as in post 54 which is pretty good, water maybe even a little clearer than that now but pics wouldn't show that off. I'll post pics of the repaired liner if it can be repaired without a ridiculous cost.
The other issue is the rust stains. The whole pool shots also dont capture that, but I'll probably wait till the end of the season to attack for the rust stained steps since that process seems to take a while (I am sOOOO glad I found this site, it has a good protocol for doing that as well as about anything else I would have no idea how to tackle).

The water can look clean but not be properly disinfected and have nasty stuff living in it like bacteria at your 2ppm with a CYA of 50. Having a small child in there I really think you should keep it up around 6, 4ppm minimum for everyones safety per the CYA/chlorine chart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
Long before algae starts back up and warns you with a green tint you could have germs floating around in there.

Thanks kiss4afrog,:salut: The chiluns are my primary concern after all. The CC has been non-detectable (or well below the 0.2 ppm limit of the FASDPD test kit). I have been using that as an indication of some invisible germ outbreaks, so there isn't likely anything too nasty. But I am upping the "normal" chlorine now, given the info in that chart.

You've done a wonderful job on that former nightmare swamp, glad I could help.

You know what I say:

Attachments

• all-in-this-together1.jpg
    all-in-this-together1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 255
If the CYA is lost over the winter and goes to 0 (I opened my pool it was probably 0) this would clearly make exclusively using the Trichlor pucks feasible where I am.

Just an FYI - with rare exceptions (usually super swampy swamps that have been neglected for extended periods) the only CYA you will lose over the winter is the extent to which you drain down for winterization and replace that water the following season. For me this is about 25% as I drop my 4 foot pool about a foot.

Just an FYI - with rare exceptions (usually super swampy swamps that have been neglected for extended periods) the only CYA you will lose over the winter is the extent to which you drain down for winterization and replace that water the following season. For me this is about 25% as I drop my 4 foot pool about a foot.

My pool wasnt opened for 2 years before I opened it last may, so i am not expecting a big CYA loss this winter, lets see...

YAY! Totally professional liner guy (lets call him Roscoe) came out and made the job look so easy i was embarassed. Paid less than I expected to as well (home maintenance on long island can be so ridiculously pricy).

As a refresher, here is the worst of the Liner issues i was I was dealing with taken after only a couple days of opening:

It turns out that it was not only the liner, but the wood coping that goes atop the steel walls of the pool had split at the end next to the steps, so that was also pulling away and made it look even worse than I thought.
First Roscoe put a couple screws in to attach the split end of the wood back in place. Then he went to work with a heat gun. No special design, one that was made for blistering and scraping paint (Wagner brand). He heated the liner from the water line up, but not going all way to the lip of the liner, checking periodically for the stretchiness of the liner. When the vinyl became pliable so that it would pull (being careful not to melt the vinyl) roscoe worked the liner up slowly starting on the right side working to the left, using a flat-head screwdriver to tuck the top of the liner back into its track along the top of the coping as he went. he did this process a couple inches at a time...

He put in a couple of pieces of liner lock, strategically placed, not the whole length. This corner didn't take him very long, maybe 15 minutes, here is a shot when he was near the end...

He did that corner plus three others that were pulling away but didnt look as bad, NOW the pool looks great! (except for the obvious rust stains :pth:)

Now that I have seen it in action, I could totally do that myself if needed in future years. He didn't need the water level lowered (I have about 4-5 inches normally exposed, (thats what she said!)) but it is easy to see how this could help prevent over-stretching in localized spots.The caution is OBVIOUSLY that you are working with a high amperage electrical device right next to the water, so don't do it with others in the pool (doy!), don't touch the device to the water (double doy!) and if you happen to drop it in the pool unplug it prior to trying to retrieve it (super-sloppy-double-doy-oy!).
I know you can heat the vinyl with boiling water instead of the gun, but that actually seems more dangerous to handle, and it isn't logistically easy to boil that much water and keep it hot for 15 minutes while you are strategically applying it to the liner. Maybe a steam gun would be the most secure approach to heat the liner, assuming that such devices exist and that the steam they produce is actually near boiling temp.
No more makeshift water shields hanging over the pools edge for me! The rust stains are the last mountain to climb, that can wait for the end of the season.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kept the chlorine up to 4-6 ppm for a couple weeks, everything was going smooth. I got lazy last week, did nothing for the pool and BAM, the green stuff showed up. The FC at that point was actually 2ppm, proving that 2ppm chlorine is not nearly enough with CYA 50-60. It was a rainy cold weekend, not much swimming to be had anyway. I gave it a good brushing and added bleach to 9 before I ran out. According to the chart and Pool Math I need two gallons more to get it to SLAM levels. Going to get some on the way home so we can swim next weekend. Weather is looking better then...

At least you know what you need to do and you know how nice it will look in the end. Plus this time when you SLAM it won't take weeks :shock:

We were able to swim the following weekend, and frankly the water was looking even better than before. The end of swim season is approaching, going to try the ascorbic acid treatment to get the metal stains. The vitamin C tablet trick to make sure the stains would dissolve was so cool… like magic! I Added the polyQuat last week, but the FC is coming down really slowly, I am guessing partly because of lower water temp, and partly because of less and less sunlight on the pool. I think I'll go ahead and try it soon. I guess I'll just run through the ascorbic acid quicker is the FC isn't down to zero?

The Ascorbic acid treatment worked like a charm! I only dropped handfuls along the side where rusty spots were obvious and holy cow all the rusty stains disappeared, almost instantly, it was so cool. On the strong stain I put Ascorbic acid in a stocking underneath a ziploc bag full of pebbles to keep it in place because it was kind of on an upward slant.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Now my pool at the end of the season looks like this:

On the first step you can see some dirt, probably from some animal visiting my pool. We'll set the closing date this week, so I'll have to look into the closing procedure. I have a couple other threads I started because it seems that a really long standing thread doesn't get as much attention, so if I wanted input i needed to start new threads. This has been an adventure, and all for a pool that we couldn't enjoy as much as we wanted because it is actually pretty cold. I think the temp maxed out at 69 degrees. In my final pic above, this is the peak of sun that my pool sees at the moment. Earlier in the season the sun's position puts about half the pool in sunlight at the peak of the day, which saves a bit on chlorine, but I'd trade that for full sun to warm the water up a bit more. At least we know one very useful upgrade to make next year, Install a pool heater. Anyone have insight onto the kind of heater that would serve us best?

Great job on the pool. Satisfaction guaranteed when you do it yourself and a fantastic feeling of accomplishment!

Our temperatures here in the valley of the sun have not dipped below 80 degrees (for months!) for the overnight low's! No solar cover needed for me. Like Kimkats, our pool is almost too warm. We do a lot of night swimming here with friends and our kids do the same.

Too bad your swim season is not very long. Hopefully you'll be able to get a long swim season next year. Again, great job on the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.