Dreaded E90 error on Intex inflatable hot tub - Can I even buy a replacement motor?

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
This is the hot tub that I have:

PXL_20231124_220852499.jpg

Been working fine for years. Today was the annual take it out of the attic and set it up after Thanksgiving. Turned it on and E90 started flashing immediately. It didn't even try to get water through the filter ports. With filter housing not even on nothing is happening. Bubbler works fine but the water doesn't move.

I looked online and the internet, including this website, tells me its a broken filter motor. Nothing different happened this year compared to last year, it was stored in the same box and brought out the same way. I even cleaned it with AHHHSome before putting it away last year. Worked fine up until the day we turned it off and drained it and now nothing. Pluged it in, the panel turned on, pushed the on button and he heat and I hear nothing.

Replacement parts seem to be out of stock everywhere. Is this thing fixable? Is there anything I can try on my own before getting a replacement motor?

Hi, I found a couple of YouTube videos to help you troubleshoot your problem. If you need a new impeller or impeller shaft you can get those on amazon. You may have to measure the impeller to get the right size. There are several off brand inflatable spas that are pretty much the same pump system and parts for those may work if you can't find Intex brand parts. You may find a model number on the pump itself that will help you locate parts. Small submersible pumps, pond pumps, fountain pumps may use the same type of parts.
I would try removing the bottom intake filter on the spa and turn on the pump to see if it works without the filter in place. If it does you need to replace the filter. If not move to inspecting the impeller.

This link shows how to run without the filter in place.

This link shows how to check the impeller and flow sensors.

Do you know what motor it takes? I have a new hot tub motor.

403M. It's about 8 years old at this point. Everything I tried to find on it just says discontinued.

PXL_20231125_153252058.jpg

I would try removing the bottom intake filter on the spa and turn on the pump to see if it works without the filter in place. If it does you need to replace the filter. If not move to inspecting the impeller.

Yup, the impeller is shot. I was able to get down into the motor and found it had snapped.

PXL_20231125_161036348.jpg

I tried to remove the whole piece, it wasn't moving and looked like it has become corroded, or whatever the plastic version of corrosion is. There must have been a seal failure as inside of there was filled with crud and it was wet. The piece crumbled in my hands and I could not get it out. I had to pry it out and it just kept falling apart.

PXL_20231125_163303687.jpg

PXL_20231125_163019597.jpg

It fell apart until this section and that's jammed in there. The plastic housing around the side also fell apart. In there is so much gunk that nothing is moving. I am not sure if I am going to be able to get it out. Its jammed in there.

Is this the end of an era for our hot tub parties? Looks like it could have been simple if I was able to get a replacement motor or pop out the old impeller drive and put in a new one but with the motor no longer available and the existing gears shot I am not sure what I can do here.

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_153252058.jpg
    PXL_20231125_153252058.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 2
I would get a set of picks and some compressed air and clean out the impeller compartment. The impeller is magnetic and the rod that broke gives it an axis to spin on. There is not a seal that prevents fine particles from getting into the impeller. If the motor still turns on you can either replace just the shaft or the impeller and the shaft. When you shut it down for the year clean out the impeller compartment. You can't put a better filter on the spa without restricting the water flow too much so you will have to live with fine debris getting past the filter.

Nothing is moving right now. The impeller didn't budge when I first took it apart and the whole mechanism won't come out of the hole that it's in. I've tried pliers, knives, screw drivers, dowels, its stuck in there. At this point a new motor would fix it in 10 minutes but the motors are no longer for sale anywhere due to its age.

I'll keep chipping away at it but at this point it seems pretty hopeless to think I am going to use the same motor again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.