Drains hooked up wrong?

Nov 22, 2022
Conway, SC
Hello! So I discovered after doing some testing that the PB hooked up my drains in what I'd say is unexpected way. I have 2 pumps, one is the main pump which has the filter hooked up the other is the waterfall pump (no filter). I've discovered the the main pump is hooked up to drain #2 and the waterfall is on drain 1. Is that causing any sever issues from anyone's experience? Very rough picture below to help visualize the layout

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 10.30.12 AM.png

+1. As long as both pumps get water, and the returns are filtered, it's half a dozen or six where it comes from.

the waterfall pump (no filter).

What model waterfall was used?

Check the manufacturers installation instructions for the waterfall. Many recommend a small filter or rock trap to be installed.

Debris or small rocks can be difficult to impossible to clear from a waterfall if they get in.

What model waterfall was used?

Check the manufacturers installation instructions for the waterfall. Many recommend a small filter or rock trap to be installed.

Debris or small rocks can be difficult to impossible to clear from a waterfall if they get in.
Not sure on the waterfall model but the pump itself has a catch basket on the pump so that seems to catch a lot of the stuff. I wasn't sure if the drain's being switched made a difference b/c of it being in a more shallow area of the pool versus the deepend but sounds like (and like I thought) not a big deal.

Is the pipe size the same for both sets of drains? What are the make/model #'s of each pump?

As long as the pipe size is large enough to support the flow rate, then it should be ok but if one set is undersized for the pump, then it could be an issue.

Not sure on the waterfall model but the pump itself has a catch basket on the pump so that seems to catch a lot of the stuff. I wasn't sure if the drain's being switched made a difference b/c of it being in a more shallow area of the pool versus the deepend but sounds like (and like I thought) not a big deal.
Are both sets of drains on the floor? My waterfall suction line is on the wall. This reduces the amount of debris that is picked up by that suction and flows to the waterfall as I do not have a small filter on it.

The only other issue I see, is that you cannot have suction from the deepest part of the pool - a minor issue but just wanted to point that out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.