Draining pool, water also leaving spa and skimmers

sbranding

Oct 6, 2023
Austin, TX
I'm draining my pool to get rid of 4 years of CYA (thanks to my pool guy) and CH buildup. I have a DE filter and I'm using the Waste option on the mulltiport valve. I closed off the skimmers so just the main drain is pulling in the water. What is weird to me is that my spa has slowly been draining as well. I have an actuator on my system that is set to pool. Also, my skimmers are empty now. I would have thought that once the water level dropped below the skimmers they would just sit with the water that was in them. Also, the little output things under the skimmer (we got the upgraded Paramount skimmer things) are dripping water. Do I have a back flow, or some other type of, problem?

Attachments

• IMG_2934.JPG
    IMG_2934.JPG
    787.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2955.JPG
    IMG_2955.JPG
    701.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2956.JPG
    IMG_2956.JPG
    948.8 KB · Views: 15
S,

Water will try to seek its own level so I don't see a problem.. It really depends on how your system is plumbed.

As long as your pump is not sucking air then you are ok.

That said, we never recommend using the pool pump to drain a pool. I would suggest using a sump pump.

You can set a sump pump with a float in the pool and walk away.. You can't do that with your pool pump as you need to make sure it never runs out of water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm draining my pool to get rid of 4 years of CYA (thanks to my pool guy) and CH buildup. I have a DE filter and I'm using the Waste option on the mulltiport valve. I closed off the skimmers so just the main drain is pulling in the water. What is weird to me is that my spa has slowly been draining as well. I have an actuator on my system that is set to pool. Also, my skimmers are empty now. I would have thought that once the water level dropped below the skimmers they would just sit with the water that was in them. Also, the little output things under the skimmer (we got the upgraded Paramount skimmer things) are dripping water. Do I have a back flow, or some other type of, problem?
Your spa looks to have a dedicated fill line in the footwell that is connected to the rest of the circulation system. As water lowers in the pool it will
do the same in the spa.

S,

Water will try to seek its own level so I don't see a problem.. It really depends on how your system is plumbed.

As long as your pump is not sucking air then you are ok.

That said, we never recommend using the pool pump to drain a pool. I would suggest using a sump pump.

You can set a sump pump with a float in the pool and walk away.. You can't do that with your pool pump as you need to make sure it never runs out of water.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim! I was home all day watching it and only drained about 85% so I went with the free option :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.