Draining Pool in Phoenix

reidtheresults

Feb 1, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First time poster and pool owner. I'm currently draining my pool and its forecasted to rain throughout the night. Should I be worried about pool pop in Phoenix? It just doesn't seem like a potential problem in phoenix but obviously I don't want that to happen.

First time poster and pool owner. I'm currently draining my pool and its forecasted to rain throughout the night. Should I be worried about pool pop in Phoenix? It just doesn't seem like a potential problem in phoenix but obviously I don't want that to happen.
Is there a hydrostatic relief valve in the pool? Is this a concrete pool? Fiberglass? Vinyl liner? Anytime a pool is drained in the rainy season is a time to be concerned. Are you higher or lower than your neighbors? Do you know the water table in your area? I always avoid draining in the Winter.

We are expected to get between 0.5" and 1.0" of rain in the next couple of days with this storm.
As long as your yard has good drainage, you should be fine.
The water table is quite low in most of the valley.

Is your plan to fully drain and then refill right after - or will the pool remain empty for 'x' days?

Most pools in Phoenix will not have a hydrostatic relief valve.

We are expected to get between 0.5" and 1.0" of rain in the next couple of days with this storm.
As long as your yard has good drainage, you should be fine.
The water table is quite low in most of the valley.

Is your plan to fully drain and then refill right after - or will the pool remain empty for 'x' days?

Most pools in Phoenix will not have a hydrostatic relief valve.
I'm around lookout mountain so fairly higher elevation than most of the valley, and I assumed the water table would be quite low but I have no idea how to figure that out. My front yard has poor drainage but my backyard with the pool seems to be ok.

I plan to fully drain and chlorine wash, then immediately refill. I drained 1/3 of the pool and stopped the pump once it started get a little nasty out.

I may just wait to finish draining sunday for extra caution. It's been raining fairly hard all night here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.