Draining pebble tech

AceThePoolAZ

In The Industry
Feb 25, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Hello! New to the industry. Draining a pebble tech for the first time and doing a lot of research so I don’t mess up. I’m hearing a lot about a drain plug but when I research pebble tech and drain plug, I can’t seem to find anything. Is there a drain plug on pebble tech pools? I’m draining overnight, cleaning it up and chlorine washing (green pool) the next day and then filling. Shouldn’t be empty for more than 24 hours. Thank you for whatever advice you can give.

Hey Ace and Welcome !!!

Hydrostatic valves are common in ares with high ground water tables, or lots of rain.

You're 0 for 2 by you so they are very uncommon.

Also, once it's built, all the variations of plaster pools fit plaster pool reccomendations. You'll probably get better search results with 'draining a plaster pool in AZ'. (Location matters, not the style of plaster).

You will not really find a "drain plug" that can/will drain the whole pool. You will need a sub pump to drain it. Do you know where you can/should send the water as it comes out? Sure don't want to send it to the neighbors yard and flood them out.

Now if the only reason you are draining it is because it is green water we can help you clear up the water by teaching you the SLAM as seen here: SLAM Process

I’m draining overnight, cleaning it up and chlorine washing (green pool) the next day and then filling. Shouldn’t be empty for more than 24 hours.
A pool can pop out of the ground very quickly depending on the water table around you. Is there another reason you are draining the pool other then to remove algae? As stated above, use the SLAM process then that removes the risk of draining the pool.

Reactions: kimkats
cya is too high to keep water. I’m not trying to drain the pool with the drain plug; I’ve seen the plug pulled after it’s drained and ground water come in to take the upward pressure off the pool so it doesn’t pop up.
OK that makes sense to drain to decrease CYA. Is there a hydrostatic valve in the area adjacent to the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.