Draining hot tub into a pool/refilling from pool

I have a super small tub & high cya in my pool so I just refill from the hose. I have some staining in my pool from the metals in my fill water but no issues in the tub. I presume this is because I must top off the pool regularly so they have built up over time but a full drain & refill in the tub is no problem. Also my hose is right next to the tub so its a pretty quick operation. My fill water ph/ta isn’t crazy so its really no issues to get them in line after filling. I certainly wouldn’t dump purged ahhsome water in my pool.

The salt level in pools will not hurt any of your equipment. Most people like the softer feel of a little salt. Even if my pool wasn't a "saltwater" pool per se, I would still add salt to it.
You cannot make that determination without knowing what equipment I have in my hot tub. Especially what kind of heater I have. The impact of salt on a Teflon/steel heater element is a lot more than the impact on a titanium element.

As for the softer feel, I for one don't notice it, but that is an individual thing.

When you get to that point if there’s not one that’s designed specifically for your tub the controlomatic ones have an in line option/kit.

It looks like they no longer have the in-line version in stock :-(

However their drape over one looks pretty nice too.

I found some secondary sellers that have the in-line, but the issue with it is, it runs on its own schedule and I don't have a circulation pump in my hot tub. I would have to cobble together some sort of controller, and I am just not that ambitious right now. I will likely run some 120V to an accessible point near the hot tub in the spring.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You cannot make that determination without knowing what equipment I have in my hot tub. Especially what kind of heater I have. The impact of salt on a Teflon/steel heater element is a lot more than the impact on a titanium element.

As for the softer feel, I for one don't notice it, but that is an individual thing.

Interesting. So what are people doing that have saltwater hot-tubs? Are they replacing their heaters before converting? And what about the buildup of salt with just regular additions of liquid chlorine and other chemicals that contain salt? Is it recommended to empty a hot-tub when salt levels reach some point? I have always read that reports saying the low salt level of a saltwater pool damages equipment any more than a non-saltwater pool would is a myth. And that properly balanced pools (primarily CSI) do not promote excessive corrosion. I have no experience with hot-tubs though just what I read on mostly this forum.

Interesting. So what are people doing that have saltwater hot-tubs? Are they replacing their heaters before converting? And what about the buildup of salt with just regular additions of liquid chlorine and other chemicals that contain salt? Is it recommended to empty a hot-tub when salt levels reach some point? I have always read that reports saying the low salt level of a saltwater pool damages equipment any more than a non-saltwater pool would is a myth. And that properly balanced pools (primarily CSI) do not promote excessive corrosion. I have no experience with hot-tubs though just what I read on mostly this forum.

Heater elements tend to be the thing that gets damaged. That and if you happen to have non-stainless steel jet fittings.

It depends on the hot tub you buy, as to what sort of heating element they ship with. Teflon coated steel is the cheapest, followed by Incoloy, and Titanium being the gold standard.

Sometimes the Spa manufacture will offer upgrades, sometimes they use Titanium right off the bat, and sometimes they don't even know what you are asking about.

If you are going to switch to salt with an existing spa and you have a non-Titanium heater, I would not replace it off the hop, but just live with the knowledge that I will have to replace it sooner than expected.

My hot tub salt levels from both additions of bleach and from human sweat nowhere approach the levels that are in my pool. I dump my hot tub 4-5 times a year. The water does not have time to build up a high concentration like a pool does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.