Drain Lever Positions

Erinfaye

Silver Supporter
Jun 3, 2023
St. Petersburg, FL
Surface
Fiberglass
We have these two levers that control the two drains in the deep end of the pool. There are numbers 1-4 in each of the positions to which they can be turned, and there is an arrow and “off” on each of the handles. We have two questions:

1. What position should each of them be in during normal operation?
2. If we do want them turned off, which number should they be pointed at?

Thank you!

IMG_8953.jpeg

Erin,

Are you sure???

Generally, the two drain covers in the deep end go to one pipe back to the equipment pad.

The other possible inputs would be a Skimmer and a suction vacuum port.

In any case, the number 4 means the pipe is wide open. To turn the pipe off, you would set the valve to number 1.

Keep in mind this is how newer valves work. You will need to test their operation by moving each valve, one at a time and see what works.

My guess is that one of your valves goes to your main drains, the other valve goes to your skimmer and the pipe with no valve goes to a suction side cleaner.

As a test, go look at your skimmer basket and see what the water 'action' looks like. Then turn only one valve to position #1 and see if that caused the skimmer action to stop.. If it did, you will know that valve is for the skimmer and should assume the other valve is for the main drain. You never, ever want to shut off both the main drain and skimmer at the same time.

I suspect that you have a vac port in the side wall of your pool. It will have a spring loaded door. That is why the vac port line does not have a valve.

Try that and see what happens,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Erinfaye
I’m sorry—one more question! These two round things at the bottom (they’re in the deep end) are drains, right? Are they supposed to send water back to the pump? When I put my hand up to them, there’s no suction at all.

Thank you!

IMG_8952.jpeg

Erin,

It is almost impossible to feel any flow through the main drains.. You will not be able to feel it with your hand.

If you know which valve controls the skimmer, shut the skimmer off and make sure the other valve is open.. If the pump continues to run and has water, you can assume the main drains are working just fine.

Is your pool in a screen-room or not?

I am curious why you are worried about your main drains?

It appears that you might have some algae... If so, this is a chemical issue and has nothing to do with your valves or your main drains.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you so much, Jim! We’re not worried about them—just wanted to understand what they are 😊 (That does look like algae, but it’s just a bit of dirt…I need to vacuum!) And yes, the pool is in a screen room.

One last question! We understand that this white around the water line is calcium from the pH being improperly balanced. Is that correct? And it seems there’s no easy way to remove it, other than scrubbing it off?

Thank you!!
IMG_8530.jpeg

It’s a fiberglass pool so it’s either scale (if your saturation balance is off) OR the gel coat over the fiberglass has become hazy with age and hydrolysis. It’s not uncommon for fiberglass pool surfaces to form a hazy white layer. It’s the natural deterioration of the gel coat with age.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.