Drain covers

minister1534

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Portales, NM
I am getting a new liner this spring, and after looking at my pool the installer said he could not replace my bottom drain cover because it is out of code and he would have to do some digging and replace a lot more than just the cover. Do I need to have the work done to get up to code?

On new builds - current code states you need two drains one pipe. Or no drain at all.

I can't imagine it being too costly for a pool company to install the new drains. Get a few estimates to find out.

However removing the bottom drain all together and getting downward pointing return jets would probably be less hassle and cost.

The "standard" replacement kit to handle the entrapment law should fit the existing hardware. Remove the existing cover and screw in the compliant one. This may or may not meet Federal and Local Regs/Codes.

I replaced almost the exact same cover in my spa when I purchased my house last April - I had to drill two holes for the screws but only because the previous cover had been removed and the person removing it had broken off the existing screws in the receptacle's holes.

The standard replacement kit runs around $30-50 someodd.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.