downside to leaving pool without cover over winter?

primuspaul

Sep 3, 2018
NYC area
Assuming we will drain the pool next April to clean it and then refill with fresh water, is there a downside to leaving the pool without cover? This is an inground concrete freshwater pool. My math shows a complete refill costs about $168 and with the rocketing prices of chlorine and the fact that our pool cover is in bad shape and likely needs replacement (which will be $1,000+), I'm tempted to just leave it open during the winter and then drain it next year.

I never had an in ground pool, but had some bad covers!!! If leaves get under and sit all winter, it can lead to discolorations.

When my liner needed replacing, I left the pool uncovered and everything was ripped out the next spring. The liner was pretty stained, but since it was replaced I didn't care.

My opinion: get water somewhat balanced, get the gunk out & use the old cover. Source a new cover over the winter; might get a better price.

Curious why you feel the need to drain the pool next spring. :scratch: Just because of potential algae? Leaving the pool uncovered may present challenges such as staining from debris if allowed to settle on the floor for months, or excessive water height and the potential for freeze damage to waterline tile/coping if present. If a pool is closed properly this time of year with cold water (below 60 degrees), it "should" remain fairly clean and algae-free. So depending on your normal snow/rain accumulations, if you don't have a concern for waterline tiles, you could balance the water (take FC to SLAM level) and scoop out debris as much as you can until you develop an ice shelf and you might do quite well.

We never have covered our inground pool in the 23 years I've lived with it. We have some big leaf maples in the yard and leaves will even get into the pool during the winterr. If there is a bad storm we clean the big things out of the pool. Come spring before the days start to get warm, we use a separate pump and clean any debris on the bottom of the pool and begin balancing the water. It doesn't take too long to get it right if we get the debris out of the pool before the days are warm. It takes several days for us to fill our pool so we never drain it except when we have had the pool surface redone. We live in western Washington and typically winters are wet but mild.

We never have covered our inground pool in the 23 years I've lived with it. We have some big leaf maples in the yard and leaves will even get into the pool during the winterr. If there is a bad storm we clean the big things out of the pool. Come spring before the days start to get warm, we use a separate pump and clean any debris on the bottom of the pool and begin balancing the water. It doesn't take too long to get it right if we get the debris out of the pool before the days are warm. It takes several days for us to fill our pool so we never drain it except when we have had the pool surface redone. We live in western Washington and typically winters are wet but mild.

Welcome to TFP.

It should be noted that your signature says you have an Ecofinish surface. That is less susceptible to staining and cleans up easier then other types of pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.