Done with Pentair LED’s?

swreeder70

Mar 15, 2016
Wimberley, TX
My pool is approaching 9 years old and I have had it with the Pentair Intellibright LEDs. I have one spa and two pool lights. They all failed under warranty, one of them more than once, and now only 1 light out of the three is working. Crazy my last pool that I owned for over 16 years had halogens and I never replaced a single bulb!

So I need to replace them. I basically have three options. 1. Replace the two lights that are out (Spa and one pool) with more Pentair junk. 2. Replace all three lights with the internal repair kits from Florida Sunseeker. 3. Rip all three lights out and replace with a different brand.

Curious to what others have done in this situation to get a stable working light setup. FWIW my lights run 1 hour every night all year unless we are swimming or using the spa which is rare.

The lifespan of all color changing LED pool lights is about 20 microseconds.. :mrgreen:

I have heard good things about the sunseeker, but have nothing to back that up.

Thanks,

Jim R.
“The lifespan of all color changing LED pool lights is about 20 microseconds.” So true, and regular LEDs in the home haven’t been much better in my experience!

Replacing all three lights with the internal repair kit seems like the best option, trying to decide if its work the $1K just to have lights.

So true, and regular LEDs in the home haven’t been much better in my experience!

I don't have any color changing lights inside my house, but the LED bulbs that I have seem to last forever.

I have LED landscape lights that have to be 5 or 6 years old. About 20 lights, all original. I have soffit lighting that I used to have to replace about one bulb a month, but since going to LED none of them have failure in the past three years.

I knew about color changing LED pool lights when I built my pool, so I just put in one 500 W incandescent light. Same light is still good 8 years later. :mrgreen:

Cool is not necessarily better.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have the Florida Sunseeker retrofit color changing screw in lamps for my 12v SpaBrites and have had no issues with them for about 5 years now!

I have been running my Pentair Intellibrite LED lights for 10 years now. No problems.
If you have the 5G model you have gotten lucky. Pentair is on the 4th generation of the circuit board as they overheat and fry some of the components. When the first few were replaced under warranty for me the pool tech that did the repair said to expect them to fail again and said that he was replacing several per week in my area.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
@swreeder70
I've been running the J&J Color Splash XG 120v LEDs for nearly 5 years now. I run my LED's from sundown to 11:00pm ,365 days a year and without one problem so far. The J&J lighting is compatible with Pentair lighting schemes/shows.

I should note however, that shortly after I purchased the J&J LED's in 2018, the company was purchased by Halco Lighting. Recently, Halco Lighting spun off their Pool & Landscape Lighting Business and sold it to Hayward.

Hayward has the following statement on their website
"Our recent acquisition of J&J adds to our portfolio of the best, highest quality pool and spa lighting offering in the industry. These lights are a great addition to any existing structure, also providing a variety of lighting options to transform your space. Color Splash® Series fixtures and lamps operate with most competitor automation systems for ease of install and use."

Here is where you can view the J&J's Electronics Pool Lighting which is now on the Hayward website.

Now that Hayward owns and controls J&J Electronics, it's hard to say how their acquisition of the company may impact the quality of these lights???
r.

Interesting information about the led lights. I've talked to friends and pool techs with similar feedback about poor reliability. For the price of these lights they seriously should last forever or at least have a lifetime warranty.
I have two small Pentair Aqualites that are halogen. I can't say I've had a heck of a lot better luck with them either. One was a complete new light assembly and cable which quit after 2 seasons. The other I replaced the bulb and it lasted a year. I seriously have <20 hrs runtime and the pools closed 6 months a year.
This time I'm going with 100w bulbs instead of the 250's. Maybe they get cooked, I don't know but they all should work better.
Any other thoughts on my bulb replacement plan? 120v FWIW

@swreeder70
I've been running the J&J Color Splash XG 120v LEDs for nearly 5 years now. I run my LED's from sundown to 11:00pm ,365 days a year and without one problem so far. The J&J lighting is compatible with Pentair lighting schemes/shows.

I should note however, that shortly after I purchased the J&J LED's in 2018, the company was purchased by Halco Lighting. Recently, Halco Lighting spun off their Pool & Landscape Lighting Business and sold it to Hayward.

Hayward has the following statement on their website
"Our recent acquisition of J&J adds to our portfolio of the best, highest quality pool and spa lighting offering in the industry. These lights are a great addition to any existing structure, also providing a variety of lighting options to transform your space. Color Splash® Series fixtures and lamps operate with most competitor automation systems for ease of install and use."

Here is where you can view the J&J's Electronics Pool Lighting which is now on the Hayward website.

Now that Hayward owns and controls J&J Electronics, it's hard to say how their acquisition of the company may impact the quality of these lights???
r.
Those look like some quality lights, but at $2300 to replace all three I’m not sure I will go this route.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.