Brisbane, Australia.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron V25
Exactly how important is it to have a swivel on the power cable? Tangled cables seams to be a bit of a reoccurring theme.
Is there a replacement cable with swivel as a spare part?

Ive been contemplating a rebel2. But at ~AU$600 for another $400 I can get the S50. It‘s another $200 for the ultra fine filter basket. I think they only come with a standard mesh filter. It’s another $1000 for an S150 or S200 with a swivel. An extra $1000 for a swivel doesn‘t sound like good value.

We get some palm tree debris. I’ve been told that palm fronds need to be manually removed before using any cleaner. But the little nuts that may get caught in suction cleaner might be better handled by a robot.

Edit: I think I’ve solved the tangle problem. The promo video shows it navigating around the pool in a series of left hand turns. If they could change that to left, right, left, etc., problem solved. :)

Last edited:
I believe there are kits for adding the swivel to an existing fixed cable. It will require cutting the existing cable and wiring it up. It’s not hard work but, honestly, I wouldn’t do it. I would be more inclined to simply buy the swivel cable itself (sadly, $200 …) and just put a whole new cable on it. That way all of the connectors and pins are factory built and probably more reliable than what you would do on your own. Not knocking your skills, but sometimes the simpler and expensive route is worth the lesser hassle.

Any idea where to start a search for a swivel kit? My pool is only about 3 yards across the middle, I could use a piece of wood to hold a swivel above the water in the dead center of the pool.

I don’t have a swivel cable - i just loop it up after the bot runs. I usually don’t have a tangle problem unless I run it multiple times in a row without looping it. Generally I just give the bot a spin or three when I get to the end of the looping process. My bot sleeps in the pool. On sunny days I try to lay out the cable to help get any kinks out.
When cable replacement time comes I will probably keep it non swivel. People with a swivel cable still seem to experience some twisting- just the nature of the application.
In the US the fine filter basket is about $70 - $80 - not sure of the conversion rate.
I have a nautilus cc. Its a little step up from the s50/e10 - still just 1 brush & does only floors & walls. But it comes with a longer cable & the controller that has the weekly scheduler along with the ability for automation mode.

Reactions: AUSpool
I can't believe they can't fix the programming so that the bot turns one and then the other. We just replaced our dead A20 and ran it a lot (SLAMing). Dang if the cable wasn't twisted already. sigh

I can't believe they can't fix the programming so that the bot turns one and then the other. We just replaced our dead A20 and ran it a lot (SLAMing). Dang if the cable wasn't twisted already. sigh
The twisting/kinking is usually worse/more common in cold water. Laying the cable in the sun should help.

Reactions: kul
I don’t have a swivel cable - i just loop it up after the bot runs. I usually don’t have a tangle problem unless I run it multiple times in a row without looping it. Generally I just give the bot a spin or three when I get to the end of the looping process. My bot sleeps in the pool. On sunny days I try to lay out the cable to help get any kinks out.
When cable replacement time comes I will probably keep it non swivel. People with a swivel cable still seem to experience some twisting- just the nature of the application.
In the US the fine filter basket is about $70 - $80 - not sure of the conversion rate.
I have a nautilus cc. Its a little step up from the s50/e10 - still just 1 brush & does only floors & walls. But it comes with a longer cable & the controller that has the weekly scheduler along with the ability for automation mode.

Thanks for that, that’s kind of what I was hoping to hear. Our pool is normally fairly clean so I don’t expect to be using it much. It will live in storage out of the pool most of its life. I have a few heavy duty extension leads that I’ve kept in good condition for years by packing them away carefully with big loops with arms stretched wide. Little loops around the elbow destroys leads, hoses and ropes etc.

I do like the simplicity of the basic models with one button for off and on that’s not under water.

It could just be me but the fancy brochures for these things fail to provide simple things that can be used to compare the various models. It’s unclear what basket each one comes with and a how fine they filter to. Flow rates and filter capacity in microns would be nice to know. In the Q&A section they said the ultra fine filters to 50 microns which is better then some of the others that filter to 180 microns but its never going to be as good a sand or cartridge filter.

It doesn’t seem fair but US$70-80 would be close to AU$200 once shipping and the exchange rate is added. It’s not really about the $$ but rather being upgraded for things I didn’t start out looking for. The rebel2 is really a glorified manual vac head that doesn’t scrub, the wall cleaning feature was an extra bonus that I didn’t start out looking for so a floor only bot is probably a good comparison. When I manually vac I don’t vacuum the walls and when I brush the walls there’s never any dirt/dust that comes off.

Thanks for that, that’s kind of what I was hoping to hear. Our pool is normally fairly clean so I don’t expect to be using it much. It will live in storage out of the pool most of its life. I have a few heavy duty extension leads that I’ve kept in good condition for years by packing them away carefully with big loops with arms stretched wide. Little loops around the elbow destroys leads, hoses and ropes etc.

I do like the simplicity of the basic models with one button for off and on that’s not under water.

It could just be me but the fancy brochures for these things fail to provide simple things that can be used to compare the various models. It’s unclear what basket each one comes with and a how fine they filter to. Flow rates and filter capacity in microns would be nice to know. In the Q&A section they said the ultra fine filters to 50 microns which is better then some of the others that filter to 180 microns but its never going to be as good a sand or cartridge filter.

It doesn’t seem fair but US$70-80 would be close to AU$200 once shipping and the exchange rate is added. It’s not really about the $$ but rather being upgraded for things I didn’t start out looking for. The rebel2 is really a glorified manual vac head that doesn’t scrub, the wall cleaning feature was an extra bonus that I didn’t start out looking for so a floor only bot is probably a good comparison. When I manually vac I don’t vacuum the walls and when I brush the walls there’s never any dirt/dust that comes off.
If you don’t really have fine dust you can probably forego the pleated filter- you can always buy one later. I wouldn’t pay a ton more for a bot because it had one in that situation.
I probably could have gotten away with an e-10/s50 but I was worried about cord length (33ft round pool) i also very much enjoy the automation mode so I went with a little higher model. We get a lot of stuff that blows in so I run the bot every morning on a schedule so its clean when I am ready to look at it/use it.

If you don’t really have fine dust you can probably forego the pleated filter- you can always buy one later. I wouldn’t pay a ton more for a bot because it had one in that situation.
I probably could have gotten away with an e-10/s50 but I was worried about cord length (33ft round pool) i also very much enjoy the automation mode so I went with a little higher model. We get a lot of stuff that blows in so I run the bot every morning on a schedule so its clean when I am ready to look at it/use it.

What does one do when we’re at a ski resort that’s too cold to ski… go shopping online for a pool cleaner.

I do get a bit of fine dust, the S50 was on sale for $250 off so I added the extra filter and avoid shipping by getting it with the bot. We only have a little pool so there won’t be a problem with the shorter cable and I don’t think a lack of swivel will be an issue.

What does one do when we’re at a ski resort that’s too cold to ski… go shopping online for a pool cleaner.

I do get a bit of fine dust, the S50 was on sale for $250 off so I added the extra filter and avoid shipping by getting it with the bot. We only have a little pool so there won’t be a problem with the shorter cable and I don’t think a lack of swivel will be an issue.
Lol 😂
Here you have to sign for them when delivered - hopefully you’ll be home by then!
I had mine held at a fedex pickup location for fear it would get sent back if I missed them. I got mine in a few days but I am a little closer to Georgia than you 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and AUSpool
I’ve had Robby the Robot for about a month now. Used him twice, once with the standard basket and today with the ultra fine. The ultra fine was worth it. The basic robot is a good fit for our little pool. We don’t need wall or waterline scrubbing and won’t have any issues with cable tangles. I like the plug and play, hit go and come back when he’s finished. I didn’t need to read a 200 page user manual.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.