Dolphin S200 runs only a few seconds at a time, then shuts down

InvaderZim

Bronze Supporter
Apr 13, 2008
Austin, TX
I have a 2-1/2 year old Dolphin S-200 that replaced a Polaris pressure-side cleaner. It's been working flawlessly until now and my pool has literally never been so clean.
A few days ago, I noticed if I push the button to start it, the blue light on the front flashes, it starts cleaning for maybe 3-5 seconds, and then shuts down. However, the controller box seems to think it's still working, but if I check back later, the big blue ring is flashing.
There is nothing about trouble-shooting in the user's guide except for cleaning the impeller and I've done that (there was nothing in it).
I did notice that the cord looks a bit chewed up, almost like it's corroding and coming apart. It gets tangled easily and I think it might be rubbing against itself or maybe on the edge of the pool.
Is there some trouble-shooting I could do to see if the Dolphin is getting power? Replacing the cord isn't cheap but might be worth a shot. I figure if the cord is damaged, the robot wouldn't even start up, but how does it behave if it's not getting enough power -- like a voltage drop? I really wish it would blink lights in some pattern to let me know why it's unhappy.
I did call the manufacturer and they said "clean the impeller", which I had already done. That was the end of their advice: they don't have factory service centers and instead, emailed me four local service points -- basically two local pool supply stores (not Leslies, who I guess doesn't sell these), a pool service company, and a vendor over 100 miles away. The pool service company said they don't actually fix these and referred me to the pool supply stores. I called both of those and they only service Dolphins purchased from them because they're so backlogged -- I got mine from Marina Pool Supply but the thing is heavy, I don't have the box, so shipping it would be an ordeal.
So... what's the best way to proceed? If I could find someone to fix it, it might be free because I bought it with a credit card that adds a year of warranty.
Is there something else I could try?

Contact marina- they may have some answers/places for you to try. Be sure to read & follow all the guidelines in your credit card’s warranty for receipts /rules etc. They may just reimburse you if replace it. I just did that with a computer. It depends on the value generally.
shipping to a service center may not be too terrible- i just shipped something that was 25# from ms to ny & it was $28 w/ fedex. I think the dolphins weigh about 15#. The box 📦 is large though so that can add to the cost.

Reactions: InvaderZim
I just went through this, and Marina had nothing to do with the warranty process, although I bet at 2.5 years you won't get much warranty assistance.

My cleaner is Pentair branded, so I had to work directly with Pentair. They were not interested in shipping the cleaner to them, but rather tried to set me up work orders with local pool shops. Both ghosted me, so they eventually offered to mail me a motor unit.

Which, funnily enough, hasn't arrived, and doesn't even seem to have actually shipped. I was told to ask on X date if they had stock to ship. I asked, she messaged me back asking a few more details, and I haven't heard another peep. It has been mentally draining and I'm not even sure the warranty process has been worth the $450 saved...if it even has saved me that 🤷.

My assumption is your Dolphin branded cleaner would work the same way, but through Maytronics?

You mentioned cleaning the propeller? Did you take the fan blade off?
Reason I mention it is mine acted like that and I didn’t feel anything around it but when I took it off it had a pine needle wrapped around the shaft.

Hopefully you can get it fixed!

I think we found the problem: after removing the treads and the housing, the front wheel on the side that has a motor is loose. When I rotate the wheel by hand, it ratchets/skips after about a quarter turn. It just feels loose, but I don't see any damage to the wheel or the gear teeth. I can spin the inner gear with my hand that the motor is attached to and it feels fine and solid. Then I screwed the wheel back on and there is just some play in it but I can't tell from what.

I took the wheel from the other side that does not have a motor and mounted it and it feels solid and turns just fine and does not skip gear teeth. But... the wheel looks absolutely identical! This is just weird.

I then reassembled the treads, put it in the water and same thing: it goes for maybe 3-4 feet and then gives up. This time, it looked like it was having trouble while reversing, though: it was on the flat bottom of the pool and it kind of reared up.

Any advice would be welcome. I'm going to check the impeller again just to make sure that nothing is wound around it and if that doesn't help, I'll disassemble more on Saturday when I have some time.

Reactions: markayash
Take a look at the following thread for details on disassembly.

Also, check the wheel bushings/hubs. If you look closely enough you may see that that are not perfectly round anymore but oval. If that's the case, then there will be too much play between the wheel and the tread and you'll see the tread separate from the wheel and skip. You can try replacing the wheels and bushing but you should also pull the motor assembly and open it up. If there's damage in there from water incursion, the whole motor assembly is bad and then you'll have to replace that. But it's usually just cheaper to replace the entire robot than to rebuild it.

Just my 2 cents. I did a lot of work to try to revive my dead S300i and, in the end, it was not possible because Maytronics does not design the robots to be repairable. They want you buying a new one every 3-5 years.

Also, check the wheel bushings/hubs. If you look closely enough you may see that that are not perfectly round anymore but oval. If that's the case, then there will be too much play between the wheel and the tread and you'll see the tread separate from the wheel and skip. You can try replacing the wheels and bushing but you should also pull the motor assembly and open it up. If there's damage in there from water incursion, the whole motor assembly is bad and then you'll have to replace that. But it's usually just cheaper to replace the entire robot than to rebuild it.

Just my 2 cents. I did a lot of work to try to revive my dead S300i and, in the end, it was not possible because Maytronics does not design the robots to be repairable. They want you buying a new one every 3-5 years.
That may indeed be the problem -- out-of-round wheels. I'll have time this weekend to give it a serious teardown and check the motor -- as you said, nothing to lose. So glad I didn't simply order another cord.

This is an S200, bought because I wasn't sure if I was going to use a Robot going forward or replace the pressure-side Polaris. It's a no-brainer now -- the Robot cleans so much better and is easier to empty as well. If I do have to replace it, is going up-market any benefit or are all the Dolphin's similar in construction quality with just differences in connectivity? I'll confess I wouldn't mind programming a new one over WiFi or maybe aiming it where the leaves collect. Or is another brand like Pentair more reliable? I know these have to work in a tough environment -- salt water pool, chlorine, currently 90 degree pool temps, dropping to 50s and even high 40s for brief periods in the winter but the leaves still have to come out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There’s is no difference in the various Dolphin models that are all S series clones nor any difference between the Pentair variants (Maytronics just rebrands its robots for Pentair). It all uses the same underlying technology which means the same technological defects. Going more expensive doesn’t buy you anymore reliability. I had an S300i (about twice the price of your S200) and I barely got 5 years out of it. I switched backed to a suction cleaner because I refuse to pay for a new cleaner every 3 to 5 years. Their revenue model is to make the robots non-reparable so you are stuck on an endless cycle of purchases. As long as you’re ok with laying out that kind of money every 3-5 years, go for it.

Reactions: ping and InvaderZim
One more followup: I disassembled the Dolphin S200 today to make sure that there wasn't anything trapped below the impeller. Everything looked fine. I also took the tracks and wheels back off and put them back on. The center holes of the wheels are a little bigger than the hub attached to the axle, but they're both that way so I guess that's how it is.

I rotated all the wheels by hand and felt just motor resistance.

After reassembling, I put the robot back in the pool and started it several times. It did the same thing each time: the impeller started moving water as usual out the top, it rolled forward about 3 feet, then rolled backwards maybe a foot and then reared up in the back -- kind of stood on the front of the treads with it's butt toward the surface of the water. Then it shut off.

I'm guessing that something is going wrong during the self test. I have no idea what would make it rear up like that.

If nobody has any ideas, I guess I'll bite the bullet and order another robot and maybe part this one out on EBay. Is the Dolphin still the one to get?

One more followup: I disassembled the Dolphin S200 today to make sure that there wasn't anything trapped below the impeller. Everything looked fine. I also took the tracks and wheels back off and put them back on. The center holes of the wheels are a little bigger than the hub attached to the axle, but they're both that way so I guess that's how it is.

I rotated all the wheels by hand and felt just motor resistance.

After reassembling, I put the robot back in the pool and started it several times. It did the same thing each time: the impeller started moving water as usual out the top, it rolled forward about 3 feet, then rolled backwards maybe a foot and then reared up in the back -- kind of stood on the front of the treads with it's butt toward the surface of the water. Then it shut off.

I'm guessing that something is going wrong during the self test. I have no idea what would make it rear up like that.

If nobody has any ideas, I guess I'll bite the bullet and order another robot and maybe part this one out on EBay. Is the Dolphin still the one to get?
I have seen a few YouTube videos on troubleshooting and fixing them. Hope you find the issue and can fix it.

It’s a bad motor assembly. You can’t fix them, only replace the motor assembly or buy a new robot. My suggestion is to not sink any money into it, it’s a waste.

• Sad
Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.