Dolphin M400

Jan 3, 2018
Gunter, Tx
I've searched but couldn't seem to find my issue. My M400 worked find it is about 6 yrs old and I've replaced several wear and tear items. We put it away for some cold weather and when we put back in the pool the issue started. Cleaner powers on and starts to clean, after less than 5 mins, it quits. The power unit is still showing on and when I grab the remote, I can steer the cleaner where I want. But it won't continue on it's on. When restarted same thing occurs. I have used the remote to reset the options for cleaning such as floor and wall, start immediately and the time length to clean. Nothing clogged in it. I've unplugged, waited 5 mins and fired it back up several times. It again starts and in less than 5 mins just stops and is only moveable with the remote. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Dolphins are highly susceptible to motor failures as they reach old age and, sadly, 6 years is old and is measured in dog years. You can tear it all apart and try to reseat the motor assembly and make sure that the wheels and wheel hubs and bushings aren’t too worn out. Often times the wheel or hubs or both will develop a lot of grooves and lose their circular shape which adds to the resistance on the drive motor. Inside the motor assembly, water intrusion through the shaft seal over time typically damages the circuit board or corrodes the motor bearings. The motors themselves are mechanically commutated DC motors with carbon brushes and those carbon brushes wear out and throw a lot of dust into the motor itself causing bearing damage.

Economically speaking, it doesn’t make sense to throw good money after bad and so it is usually more sensible to toss the old robot and buy new.

Last edited:
Reactions: poolrookie058
I don't know much about these but if it's working with the remote, that means the robot itself is working to me. I'd see if I could find the power center on clearance anywhere or possibly gently used on Ebay. I wouldn't spend much because the robot is likely on borrowed time as said above.

Reactions: poolrookie058
I knew that in the back of my mind that this thing could be on it's last leg at any moment. I'd already replaced track, rollers and power supply in the past. I was just hoping that since it was moving with the remote that possibly it was a setting that got off. There's nothing clogged up and the impeller is clear. I agree, it's probably time for a new one. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.