Dolphin E20 or E30?

poodlegirl

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
I've been trying to decide what robotic pool cleaner to get. I've never had one. I'm kind of over fighting with the booster pump thing and ready to move on from it.

I've narrowed it down to the Dolphin E20 or E30. My pool's measurements are about 32 or 33 feet in length and about 12 or 13 feet in width. So I'm right at the cut off point for the E20.

I've read so many good reviews about the E20 but there's not much out there about the E30. Maytronics has a good run down on the E30 but I'm looking for reliability. I do not plan to leave the robot in the pool when it's not running. I don't see the advantages of having Wi-Fi except when you're leaving it in the pool. I could be totally wrong but I can't find the purpose.

I would just like the cleaner to be reliable. I get a good bit of leaves in the fall. The E30 basket is larger but I cannot find how much larger. Also, there is a $500 price difference. I'm willing to pay a little extra if the product is worth it but I'm at a loss right now on what's extremely important for a robot. I see the E30 gets the waterline and the E20 does not. Is getting the waterline extremely important?

P,

I suggest that you talk with Margaret at Marina and see what she recommends..

Margaret Mills
Marina Pool, Spa & Patio
7777 West Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, Colorado 80232
303-985-0077
[email protected]

You also might want to check out this review..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I've been trying to decide what robotic pool cleaner to get. I've never had one. I'm kind of over fighting with the booster pump thing and ready to move on from it.

I've narrowed it down to the Dolphin E20 or E30. My pool's measurements are about 32 or 33 feet in length and about 12 or 13 feet in width. So I'm right at the cut off point for the E20.

I've read so many good reviews about the E20 but there's not much out there about the E30. Maytronics has a good run down on the E30 but I'm looking for reliability. I do not plan to leave the robot in the pool when it's not running. I don't see the advantages of having Wi-Fi except when you're leaving it in the pool. I could be totally wrong but I can't find the purpose.

I would just like the cleaner to be reliable. I get a good bit of leaves in the fall. The E30 basket is larger but I cannot find how much larger. Also, there is a $500 price difference. I'm willing to pay a little extra if the product is worth it but I'm at a loss right now on what's extremely important for a robot. I see the E30 gets the waterline and the E20 does not. Is getting the waterline extremely important?
Do you have waterline tiles? The waterline cleaning feature means that it goes up to the waterline then travels horizontally along the waterline for a distance then comes down.
Without the waterline cleaning feature the robot will still travel up to the waterline & scrub a minute before going back down. It just does this in a haphazard fashion & can’t be set to waterline only.
I have a vinyl pool & find this to be sufficient at keeping my waterline clean.
Note that having a robot doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t still brush your pool regularly.
I have a 33’ round 52” deep pool & the 50’ cable is sufficient with some room to spare. My bot is plugged in about 6’ from the pool.
This being sufficient for you will depend on where you can plug the bot in & if the deep end is the farthest away from the power supply or not. You may need to do some measuring.
Btw - the e20 still has a weekly timer & automation mode
I use automation mode coupled with a smart plug to remotely start/stop my robot from anywhere & also to schedule its runs.
Most people don’t really use the wifi connectivity of the higher up models very much. It’s definitely not worth paying that much extra for it for most people.
If you can make the cable length work for you then you would probably be happy with the e20.

Reactions: poodlegirl
I was super happy with the customer service and price I received from Marina when I bought our 30i.
Maybe I am one of the few people that uses the Wi-Fi? I have it set to clean every other day on a schedule. I will hit the button in the app to clean after a heavy storm rolls through.

It’s not a vital function, but at this point I can’t even tell you what the upcharge was, so I’m definitely not bitter about choosing it.

I was super happy with the customer service and price I received from Marina when I bought our 30i.
Maybe I am one of the few people that uses the Wi-Fi? I have it set to clean every other day on a schedule. I will hit the button in the app to clean after a heavy storm rolls through.

It’s not a vital function, but at this point I can’t even tell you what the upcharge was, so I’m definitely not bitter about choosing it.
Thank you! I can't believe how hard this is! Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! I can't believe how hard this is! Lol
I felt the same way, staring at the feature list for hours trying to weigh pros and cons between 2 models and if the bells and whistles were just gimmicks.

Eventually, I decided I couldn’t go wrong with either, and just picked the 30.

Even if I didn’t use all the features, the difference is price wasn’t any more expensive than going out for a nice dinner with friends, and I’ve never agonized over that.

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Do you have waterline tiles? The waterline cleaning feature means that it goes up to the waterline then travels horizontally along the waterline for a distance then comes down.
Without the waterline cleaning feature the robot will still travel up to the waterline & scrub a minute before going back down. It just does this in a haphazard fashion & can’t be set to waterline only.
I have a vinyl pool & find this to be sufficient at keeping my waterline clean.
Note that having a robot doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t still brush your pool regularly.
I have a 33’ round 52” deep pool & the 50’ cable is sufficient with some room to spare. My bot is plugged in about 6’ from the pool.
This being sufficient for you will depend on where you can plug the bot in & if the deep end is the farthest away from the power supply or not. You may need to do some measuring.
Btw - the e20 still has a weekly timer & automation mode
I use automation mode coupled with a smart plug to remotely start/stop my robot from anywhere & also to schedule its runs.
Most people don’t really use the wifi connectivity of the higher up models very much. It’s definitely not worth paying that much extra for it for most people.
If you can make the cable length work for you then you would probably be happy with the e20.
Thank you! I thought I read that the power supply was supposed to be 12 feet from the pool. I need to go back and read about it. I figured 33 feet for pool plus the 12 feet and I would still have room. The deep end is the farthest from the power supply.

Can you tell me exactly what you use for the automation and smart plug? That sounds interesting! Thank you!

Thanks! I see you're in Baton Rouge also! I think it's definitely worth it for Wifi! I guess I'm trying to see what I can get by with since I just had to get a new pump and filter. I would love to have that "Pick Me Up" feature but I don't think it's available for the E30. I would have to get the E50 from what I understand.

My ideal robot (for in the future) would climb into the water on its own. When its finished, climb out and put itself on the caddy. 😂

Thank you! I thought I read that the power supply was supposed to be 12 feet from the pool. I need to go back and read about it. I figured 33 feet for pool plus the 12 feet and I would still have room. The deep end is the farthest from the power supply.

Can you tell me exactly what you use for the automation and smart plug? That sounds interesting! Thank you!
My power supply is mounted inside a deck box on my deck - the outlet is outside of my deck on one of the posts (kinda underneath the deck).
Barring a bizarre natural disaster my power supply cannot end up in the pool.
The way mine is setup is not for everyone. The manual does state 12ft. No extension cords should be used.
The idea is that you shouldn’t be able to touch the power supply & the water at the same time nor should the power supply be able to be dragged into the pool.
Interestingly enough in their own video on the E20 page they say 10ft.
When doing your calculations be sure to take into consideration the depth of your deep end as I am sure you would like the bot to travel there.
One other note- the e20 has 1 brush
The e30 has 2 brushes- those with plaster pools may benefit from having 2 brushes
The 2nd brush isn’t “active” - the e30 is the closest to the s200 which is style generally recommended for plaster pools.
The triton ps & polaris evo 604 has these attributes as well minus the wifi.
The triton ps has automation mode.

About automation mode-
You set it up by pressing buttons on the power supply in a certain order. Once activated, anytime the power supply receives power the bot will turn on & run it’s standard cycle . When the supply loses power the bot will turn off.
You can control how the bot receives power with a simple smart plug or a standard timer.
When it is in automation mode you don’t use any of the buttons on the power supply. If you press any of them automation mode will be cancelled.
My bot has been in automation mode for 3 seasons. I always set the timer or schedule for 30 minutes longer than the standard cycle as to not interrupt it.
My particular bot only has one option for cleaning so it just runs that full cycle.
If you want to be able to use floor only or walls only on a regular basis you may not want to use automation mode.

My power supply is mounted inside a deck box on my deck - the outlet is outside of my deck on one of the posts (kinda underneath the deck).
Barring a bizarre natural disaster my power supply cannot end up in the pool.
The way mine is setup is not for everyone. The manual does state 12ft. No extension cords should be used.
The idea is that you shouldn’t be able to touch the power supply & the water at the same time nor should the power supply be able to be dragged into the pool.
Interestingly enough in their own video on the E20 page they say 10ft.
When doing your calculations be sure to take into consideration the depth of your deep end as I am sure you would like the bot to travel there.
One other note- the e20 has 1 brush
The e30 has 2 brushes- those with plaster pools may benefit from having 2 brushes
The 2nd brush isn’t “active” - the e30 is the closest to the s200 which is style generally recommended for plaster pools.
The triton ps & polaris evo 604 has these attributes as well minus the wifi.
The triton ps has automation mode.

About automation mode-
You set it up by pressing buttons on the power supply in a certain order. Once activated, anytime the power supply receives power the bot will turn on & run it’s standard cycle . When the supply loses power the bot will turn off.
You can control how the bot receives power with a simple smart plug or a standard timer.
When it is in automation mode you don’t use any of the buttons on the power supply. If you press any of them automation mode will be cancelled.
My bot has been in automation mode for 3 seasons. I always set the timer or schedule for 30 minutes longer than the standard cycle as to not interrupt it.
My particular bot only has one option for cleaning so it just runs that full cycle.
If you want to be able to use floor only or walls only on a regular basis you may not want to use automation mode.

Thank you! I still can't decide. Lol I guess I know I should go with the E20 because it's $500 cheaper. On the other hand, I don't want to get something that I'll regret later.

As far as measurements, my pool is either 32 or 33 feet. That's measuring the outside of it (not inside the pool). I think the deepest part is 7 feet. I guess I need to measure the depth again. If I have to keep the supply unit 10 to 12 ft from the pool, I'll be right at about 50 feet. Not sure if that matters or not. I should have enough cord. Not a lot to spare though.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you! I still can't decide. Lol I guess I know I should go with the E20 because it's $500 cheaper. On the other hand, I don't want to get something that I'll regret later.

As far as measurements, my pool is either 32 or 33 feet. That's measuring the outside of it (not inside the pool). I think the deepest part is 7 feet. I guess I need to measure the depth again. If I have to keep the supply unit 10 to 12 ft from the pool, I'll be right at about 50 feet. Not sure if that matters or not. I should have enough cord. Not a lot to spare though.
If it makes you feel better even the most basic dolphin is fantastic compared to no bot at all.
Unfortunately none of them live super long lives anymore no matter the price - many average 4/5 years, some less, some more. So in my opinion the cheaper the better so long as it cleans the pool/has the functions you need.

Call Margaret at Marina Pool & Spa.
She can suggest a robot thatshould work well in your pool.
And their pricing is usually better than most other places.

If it makes you feel better even the most basic dolphin is fantastic compared to no bot at all.
Unfortunately none of them live super long lives anymore no matter the price - many average 4/5 years, some less, some more. So in my opinion the cheaper the better so long as it cleans the pool/has the functions you need.
Thank you! That's what I keep thinking. I've tried to review all of the information on both models. I guess if I calculate the E20 will do, I'll get that model. The basket is a little bigger on the E30 but it doesn't look like that much bigger. I get a lot of leaves in the fall. I don't plan on letting it stay in the pool so I guess I could run it twice in one day, if the first round doesn't get all of the leaves.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.