Dolphin Choice - M400 or Active 40

tommelton

Silver Supporter
Jun 23, 2021
Suburb of Atlanta, GA
We are nearing the end of our 5 month pool build that has actually taken 11 months. As part of our contract, we were slated to receive a Dolphin M400 as our robot cleaner. Since it has been a year from contract signing - they are now saying a Dolphin Active 40 is the current model they are supplying.

I have looked at the Maytronics site to compare the models, the most outstanding item I see is warranty term. The M400 has a 3 year warranty, where the Active 40 has a 2 year term. The other difference I see, it looks to me that the cleaning of the filter should be easier on the Active 40 vs the M400. Lastly, the M400 is a physically heavier robot, and both come with the caddy.

So - question to all the pros here - which should I push for? The original contracted M400, or the newer model Active 40?

-Tom

No pro here, but I have an Active30. I like it a lot. But, if I were you I would push for the 400. The warranty difference is huge, as there have been some on TFP who have had trouble. Also, the turning on the 400 is WAY better than the 40 looks. Did you notice in the different videos that they don't show the 40 turning, but the 400 does. It looks like the 40 turns like my 30, where it stops, lifts, and pivots on one track to turn. It isn't as efficient as the 400. I do, however, think I like the 30, and 40 filter basket better, but I have not seen the 400 filters.

Now, there is a huge shortage of everything these days, and inventory may be a problem for both. I would put up a stink, and tell the PB that the contract states this, but I am receiving less. They may honor it or they may make it up somewhere else. Think about other things on your build that they could upgrade, or ask to take $ off what's owed.

SecoSteve - thanks for the response. The MSRP of the Active 40 looks to be $100 more than the MSRP on the M400. So other than the shorter warranty, there is no real "cost" difference in the overall grand scheme.

I think I like the filter system better on the Active 40, but like the 3 year warranty on the M400..

I think you will be happy with the 40 once you're watching it work while you sit poolside! I can't believe the 40 is $100 more. I really like the steering on the 400, but I like the look of the 40 better. If you plan on taking it out of the pool when not in use, make sure to rinse the cord, filters, outside of the robot and inside the filter area, to get the salt and chlorine off. Also, try to keep the power supply as dry as possible. No rain on it or hose water. And, always coil the cord on the caddy the same way to avoid tangling issues. Don't forget to register it with Maytronics too as soon as you get it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.