Dolphin Active 20 “Brain Transplant” from Active 30?

ckendalls

Gold Supporter
May 17, 2018
Clermont FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I replaced my 4 yr old Maytonocs Dolphin Active 30 last year because replacing the cord, brushes and other parts over time was going to add up even DIY. Since the extra Active 30 features turned out to be worthless and pretty much nonfunctional I went with the Active 20. But the Active 20 just seems so much more stupid (I know there are many posts on this). I should have returned it.…. But I got to thinking what would be involved in transferring any more random “brain functions” from what is a still functioning Active 30? I found that the controller from the Active 30 won’t work with the Active 20. Is it a motor transfer or what that could impart more effective random operation and better wall scrubbing.

Last edited:
Good morning! Looks like no fellow Active 30 owners have replied or have experience wiht your DIY question. Do you have any additional info on this issue? Still need help? Let us know and we'll try to keep this thread active for others.

Have a great day. :swim:

ck,

There is not any real difference in the way the active 20 and active 30 work... Yes, you can select some difference options, but the cleaning part is all the same.

I have an Active 20 an it works just fine. If your is not working, something is wrong.

There is no "brain" that makes it clean better..

What does it not do??

Thanks,

Jim R.

ck,

There is not any real difference in the way the active 20 and active 30 work... Yes, you can select some difference options, but the cleaning part is all the same.

I have an Active 20 an it works just fine. If your is not working, something is wrong.

There is no "brain" that makes it clean better..

What does it not do??

Thanks,

Jim R.
The Active 20 would do short repetetitive stuttering back and forths. Hardly any long runs, stuck on the drain more ofter, not move much sideways when it did climb the wall. I was being facetious on the brain, but what part is it that imparts its random movement and what causes it to change direction and I was just wondering if I could transfer a part from my retired Active 30.

However, one day, a little disgusted, I threw the Active 30 bot with a high arc into the middle of the pool. It seems to be acting more normal so far.. It there some potentiometer or something that I might have unstuck? It still gets stuck on the drain mpre often than the Active 30.

ck,

I have no idea why it started working when it was 'air dropped' into the pool. :mrgreen:

If your old motor box was brand new, I would suggest swapping them. But, since it is 4 years old, it should be pretty close to being used up.

It is about a 20 minutes job to swap the motors and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ckendalls
I replaced my 4 yr old Maytonocs Dolphin Active 30 last year because replacing the cord, brushes and other parts over time was going to add up even DIY. Since the extra Active 30 features turned out to be worthless and pretty much nonfunctional I went with the Active 20. But the Active 20 just seems so much more stupid (I know there are many posts on this). I should have returned it.…. But I got to thinking what would be involved in transferring any more random “brain functions” from what is a still functioning Active 30? I found that the controller from the Active 30 won’t work with the Active 20. Is it a motor transfer or what that could impart more effective random operation and better wall scrubbing.
The wall scrubbing feature of these robots is pretty much just a cheap party trick. Ineffective. Go with a robot that has the option of floor only. That would be the Active40.

The wall scrubbing feature of these robots is pretty much just a cheap party trick. Ineffective.
up,

I don't find that to be true, but have no way to prove it.

It seems to work for me.. I do think my new EVO is better at it than my Dolphins, but they both appear to work for me.

What am I missing or what should I be looking for???

Thanks,

Jim R.

When I say ineffective what I mean is that neither my old Warrior nor my current Active vac does any ‘wall’ scrubbing at all. They will climb the wall occasionally to the waterline but it just bypasses the wall. When it gets to the waterline, it will crawl along the waterline horizontally for anywhere from 3’ to 6’ before stopping and descending to the bottom. That’s in the best case. We have an irregularly shaped fiberglass pool with steps in one corner and molded in seats in the other corners. Any of those features, in addition to passing over one of the three returns, causes it to abort the waterline action and descend to the bottom. Most of the pool waterline is never touched at all no matter how many cycles it’s run. I certainly would never depend on that level of ‘scrubbing’ action to break up biofilm in an algae situation. Some may think, so what it can’t hurt but I believe that the wall action adds wear and tear to the machine that could affect its lifespan. I had to upgrade to an Active 40 to even have the option of running a floor only cycle. Wasn’t happy about that.

ck,

I have no idea why it started working when it was 'air dropped' into the pool. :mrgreen:

If your old motor box was brand new, I would suggest swapping them. But, since it is 4 years old, it should be pretty close to being used up.

Thanks,

Jim R
ck,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim R, So whatever this robocleaner “senses“ in the XYZ planes to change direction is in the motor? Thanks, CK

ck,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim R,

So whatever this robocleaner “senses” in the XYZ planes and controls is in the motor?

Thanks,

CK

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CK,

There is one two or three wire cable going from the Power supply into the motor box. There is nothing else, so anything electric or electronic has to be inside the motor box or inside the power supply. I know the units with Wi-Fi control have the 3 wire cable. Two wires carry the DC voltage to make things work. I am not sure If the Wi-Fi communicates with the power supply and it sends commands to the robot or if the 3rd wire is just an antenna for the Wi-Fi.

Since I don't normally buy robots with the Wi-Fi option I have no experience with them..

But.. as far as I know, all the electronics are inside the motor box.

I've only had one motor box apart and there are two motors and a small circuit board about 4" by 4" inside.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ckendalls
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.