Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I have the non-swivel version and once a week, I clean the basket and untwist the cord. Takes all of a couple of minutes.
I agree it's not a lot of work. The issue is that it looks bad and traps floating debris. Sounds like the swivel doesn't add anything useful.

Reactions: Steverino
I have the non-swivel version and once a week, I clean the basket and untwist the cord. Takes all of a couple of minutes.
That's great - for me I need to detangle after every two runs, and it usually takes at least two to get the pool somewhat clean. If I don't detangle, it won't reach the far end, which it already does a bad job getting anyway. Not the end of the world but still annoying.

I think it goes without saying that, in any pool cleaner, cord/cable/hose management is always a chore ... perhaps if some of these new cordless robots can make some headway, cables and hoses will be a thing of the past ...

That's great - for me I need to detangle after every two runs, and it usually takes at least two to get the pool somewhat clean. If I don't detangle, it won't reach the far end, which it already does a bad job getting anyway. Not the end of the world but still annoying.
Is that with or without pre-twisting the cable in the opposite direction.

Mine used to tangle, but someone suggested I learn and practice the “over and under” method of coiling the cable. That has solved 90% of the problem. If you don’t know what that is, Google is your friend.

I wonder if taking it out of the pool results in less tangles, as well as the method.

I was very conscientious in the first few years and took it out all the time while leaving the cord to lie straightened out in the sun. Never had tangling problems. Once I started to leave it in the pool 24/7 that’s when it started to develop permanent twists and would knot itself up. I also noted much more severe insulation deterioration (chalky, disintegration of the blue rubber) in the later years.

Reactions: GaryWHolland

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe related to sun on the cord material? The one I use is in a different pool, and when that robot was young, I remember noticing that one side of the cord went a lighter blue (the top side after it sat in the pool and hadn't been used for a while). The cord appears to be all the same lighter shade of blue now, and I've noticed the chalkiness as well, but perhaps it's just changing unevenly.

I was very conscientious in the first few years and took it out all the time while leaving the cord to lie straightened out in the sun. Never had tangling problems.
I am still in the conscientious phase and remove it daily (except on vacation), also leave the cord to lie in the sun. No tangles here. I guess I thought the lack of tangles was because of the swivel, but after reading the latest posts, probably not.

My S200 recently died. It looks like the suction motor carbon brushes are worn out. I ordered some brushes on eBay that I can modify to fit and hopefully get it working again. In the mean time I purchased an Aiper Seagull 1500 on an Amazon deal. The Aiper vacuums the entire pool no problem but it can not pick up the fine sediment that is always getting in to my pool. The filter setup just doesn’t get down to that level so the sediment is blown all over the pool. Definitely not as efficient as the S200.

I’ve tried contacting Marina regarding a replacement robot and neither email or a phone call have worked. My next move is to order an S200 clone on Amazon, I may end up with two working corded robots.

Reactions: Apsuhead
I was very conscientious in the first few years and took it out all the time while leaving the cord to lie straightened out in the sun. Never had tangling problems. Once I started to leave it in the pool 24/7 that’s when it started to develop permanent twists and would knot itself up. I also noted much more severe insulation deterioration (chalky, disintegration of the blue rubber) in the later years.
Guilty here of the same thing. After I started leaving my Discovery in the pool more or less 24-7, lots of kinks in the cord and the break down of the blue rubber sheath, I’m going to assume due to UV exposure…..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.