Dog's pool has begun!

Gunite is done. They showed up unexpectedly Last Friday, so we were not home to water it the first 2 days. (Not good). We watered heavily from Monday thru Friday (today), but had some very dry weather and high winds (30 miles/hr) and some cracks have showed up (Wednesday) along the back wall and one by the pond in the deep end. These pics are pre cracks.
20160223_094622_zps3anwy5fc.jpg

20160223_151317_zpsx0xjqb1k.jpg

20160223_151219_zpscitiskrr.jpg

Curious how many will think it's butt ugly. I won't get offended. It's amusing. I often don't like what most people do and have reconciled my non conformity years ago to not fit into normal, but I will have to sell this house someday.lol

It may not be what I would pick but I definitely don't think it's ugly. Once it's in I think it will look nice and as someone with a real estate background, I don't think someone would decide not to buy your house because of the color of the pool tile. Lol. Can't wait to see how it looks installed and with water in the pool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20160225_102731_zpsbgmwtxhs.jpg

20160225_102522_zpshmjj6u5g.jpg

Here are the crack pictures. The left one on the wall and the floor one near were the water ponds are the worst with a quarter fitting in them. I notified the PB and they called the gunite people to go look at them. Shouldn't these be fixed prior to plaster? What should I ask them to do? Seeking advise and trying not to be too worried. Why don't the gunite people put up soakers across the pool perimeter so these kind of things can be avoided? I don't think they used rebound. There is a lot of waste in the equipment piping trench. Advise is appreciated. Tile guys come Monday. No appointment for plaster yet as far as I know.
Twinkiemommy, I am hoping it looks good along the 18 inch back wall with 3 sheer descents. Trying for the natural look with clear light blue accents for more sparkle.

Thank you Kim. Regarding the plaster. It's going to just be white due to budget and issues I hear of the blue tint with streaking I have heard of. I do like the smooth feel of plaster. I have been in some rough pools and would rather have my feet done by a pedicure than the pebble tec.
I am wondering what the depth is needed for a slide and if I should have some extra pvc put in the trench for one possible in the future. I have seen on this site some really lovely slides with real and fake rock and even the 1x1 tile lined slides. So gorgeous! If so, Wondering if it needs to be 2" or different.
Also, I would really like a heater and it is being preplumbed. I was wondering if gas or heat pump would be better. Our gas meter is literally right next to the equipment (less than 3 feet). We will also have a solar stub in case we went that route, but does it extend the season long enough. I don't know. My blood is super thin and I hate cold water. The dogs don't care though.

I think I will leave the slide out of it. The one I would want is just too pricey to justify. If my oldest was still at home or my 10 year old younger then I would consider, but flights of fancy it will remain. Info on reasonable heaters? Thanks.

Yes, cracks often form in gunite while it is curing. It is normal and not a problem. I see more gunite pool builds with cracks than without. Kim is right (again!), the plaster will take care of any gunite surface imperfections.

I think the tile is very interesting and has the potential to be very cool. But, I also see the potential for it to be butt ugly. I will reserve judgment until after it is installed and filled. :-D

For the tile I would be taking it out piece by piece to pick the ones that should go side by side and the ones that should stay away from each other due to color pattern or such. You would not want all of the ones with lots of brown being on one area nor would you want all of the ones with lots of blue.............

Kim

While your tile choice is not my personal taste, I appreciate the beauty of it and the wide variation in the pieces. I would do as Kim suggested and mix them the way you want them installed. It has the potential to be very striking!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Twinkiemommy, I am hoping it looks good along the 18 inch back wall with 3 sheer descents. Trying for the natural look with clear light blue accents for more sparkle.

I think it's definitely going to work for that. The brown in there will carry the natural look and the blue will help pop. I really like the high contrast differences of it. Very interested to see how this one looks finished.

I think the recommendation for sorting the tiles is a necessary thing with this tile., because it can be interesting or butt ugly like poop dripping down the sheer water descents. I can't find Any online pictures at all except this one with a similar look, but it is used only at the water line.
terra%20blue_zpsoattpjrw.jpg

And somewhere in the yard a dog agility course.
yard%20agility_zpsatlewrlz.png

Probably in side yard where the septic system is anyway. Need to be careful it doesn't look Getto... like my dad's yard where he had a rusted VW Bug with a tree growing right thru the sun roof lifting it about 3 feet off the ground in New Orleans. Wish I had a pic of that.lol

That looks like tons of fun! We're looking at games like these since we don't have too much room left after the pool and want whatever we do to be temporary and able to put it up or take it down. We have a life size Jenga from Santa that has been a HUGE hit with the kids and adults alike so looking at some of these.

I know plenty of kids that would like to play in that dog park you have planned! Lol

On the topic of heat, we have several members in AZ that use solar heat, I am not sure how many months of swimming they get, but I suspect in your climate you can manage at least 10-11 months per year with solar if you have enough room to install panels that equal to greater than 75%-85 of the pool surface area. Getting year round solar heating in most US climates outside of southern Florida is a challenge as you take a triple hit on solar in the winter, shorter days, much less intense sunlight and cooler temperatures.

Ooh wow, I love those ideas! I was thinking of a bocce ball walkway made of synthetic turf to the side gate. I had horseshoe pits at the other house, but the dogs decided it was a nice loofah sponge on their backs and would then jump in the pool to rinse. Also, lets not talk about the next door cats thinking it was a great litter box.:puker: So no sand pits, where I grab a horseshoe and get something else.
bocce%20ball%20with%20lights_zpsu82ihezk.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.