Doesn't seem right - am I just wrong?

If the issue is worse after cleaning the basket it's possible the basket is not fully secure and leaking air. A little pool lube on the lid o-ring would fix this if it's the case and if you are super lucky it'll fix the leak entirely.

Entrapment is when a swimmer gets stuck to an underwater drain and can't free themselves. There are a number of fairly recent laws to address this issue and they affect the shape of drain covers, multiple drains connected together etc. Your pump actually has a cut off feature - it will turn off in a restricted flow situation. So if a swimmer fully covers a drain the pump will pull a bunch of negative pressure in that pipe, it will turn off and the check valve would close - potentially trapping that negative pressure and thus the swimmer.

lightingguy said:
Your pump actually has a cut off feature - it will turn off in a restricted flow situation. So if a swimmer fully covers a drain the pump will pull a bunch of negative pressure in that pipe, it will turn off

I do not think that is true. Only the Intellifo VS+SVRS includes the Safety Vacuum Release System

Pretty sure Jason is right about the SVRS, which I don't have. However, I do have dual drains.

As far as my original problem, I found at least one leak...

After I emptied the pump strainer and properly bled out the filter during repriming, I didn't notice what was going on around my saltwater generator. So I went out this morning to see how it fired up and did a little experimenting. Lo and behold, something I hadn't seen before! (see pic below) Yes, that little 'dotted line' below the right fitting is indeed a stream of water. When the pump fires up, it comes out there pretty good and then it eventually slows down to nothing (or at least almost nothing). But as Jason Lion wisely stated, "A very small water leak, with the pump running, can be a large air leak with the pump off. Air goes through small holes more easily than water does." Indeed!

I tried tightening the nut and, while it didn't move, the whole assembly did (just slightly) and the problem got far worse! So I "jiggled" it around a little and got to where about 1 drop comes out after a restart. Don't know what kind of crappy plumbing these guys did, but my plumbing experience tells me this shouldn't be that finicky. I'll have the idiots come out and repair it proper (Yes, I could do it myself, but why? The pool isn't even a year old yet - this is just stuff they never did right).

Anyway, I tried the off/wait/on test and after waiting a full 30 seconds, still didn't get the big bubbles of air. So, problem not solved completely yet, but certainly good progress!

[attachment=0:ztflrlji]Intellichlor leak.jpg[/attachment:ztflrlji]

Attachments

• Intellichlor leak.jpg
    Intellichlor leak.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 25
You have another issue there as well, SWCG cells want a straight plumbing run on the inlet side (to reduce turbulence).

If memory serves me correctly the Intellichlor wants 18" (the spec is in the manual).

Qwaxalot said:
You have another issue there as well, SWCG cells want a straight plumbing run on the inlet side (to reduce turbulence).

If memory serves me correctly the Intellichlor wants 18" (the spec is in the manual).

The manual says "For best flow sensing, provide at least 12"-18" of straight pipe in front of the cell inlet."

So, while I majorly appreciate the heads up and what I have is sub-optimal, it doesn't appear to be a major issue. At least not according to the manual.

As I continue to struggle with these giant air bubbles after start up, an additional thought occurred to me. Would leaving the deck jets "on" have anything to do with this? I mean make the problem worse at all? I had them shut off last night and yet still got big air bubbles when starting up this morning. Just wondered if they could be an additional factor.

The deck jets might have an impact but they usually have check valves to keep air from getting in the system when the pump's not on.

Any pressure side leak could allow air into the system when the pump shuts down. It would then be pushed out the returns when the pump started back up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.