Does this schedule seem fine?

Waynerb

Aug 18, 2023
Titusville Florida
Hello. We are new to pool ownership as well as Florida itself. We have a 4800 gallon exposed aggregate salt pool (INTELLICHLOR) and a VSP. The previous owner has a schedule for the pump and heat to run 8 am to 6 pm daily. The chlorinator is set to 50% and the pump is set to 2350 rpm. Everything is off the rest of the time. Does this sound like a good schedule, or should I increase the run time? Should the pump run 24 hours, but at a lower speed in the evening?

Thank you Wayne

Hi Wayne... with a VS pump most folks seem to run at a lower RPM 24/7 and save money on energy. You just want to set it at say 1000, see if that is enough to trigger the SWG to run, and if so just add another 100 RPMs for comfort. If SWG not triggered enough add more RPMs by the hundred.
Otherwise if you're happy with the condition of your water (well filtered) you can do as you are now, but it probably is costing your more in energy.

Maddie :flower:

Hi Wayne... with a VS pump most folks seem to run at a lower RPM 24/7 and save money on energy. You just want to set it at say 1000, see if that is enough to trigger the SWG to run, and if so just add another 100 RPMs for comfort. If SWG not triggered enough add more RPMs by the hundred.
Otherwise if you're happy with the condition of your water (well filtered) you can do as you are now, but it probably is costing your more in energy.

Maddie :flower:
Thanks Maddie. I will try 24/7 on a lower RPM and see how things go.

Wayne,

Obviously, when you run 24/7, you will have to reduce the output % of the SWCG...

I love running 24/7 as I like making a little chlorine all the time and skimming all the time. I also like the look of my pool when there is a little water movement.

Is your SWCG a standalone cell, or is it connected to an automation system, like an EasyTouch???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wayne,

Obviously, when you run 24/7, you will have to reduce the output % of the SWCG...

I love running 24/7 as I like making a little chlorine all the time and skimming all the time. I also like the look of my pool when there is a little water movement.

Is your SWCG a standalone cell, or is it connected to an automation system, like an EasyTouch???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim. It is an EasyTouch system.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Wayne,

I asked because when the SWCG is connected to the EasyTouch, you can't use the buttons on the cell to make any adjustments. You have to use the EasyTouch's little 3" Display, or ScreenLogic, if you have that.

It is also much easier to adjust the pump speed using the EasyTouch.

Schedule wise, to run 24/7, set the schedule for "Pool" to 8 am until 8 am...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wayne,

I asked because when the SWCG is connected to the EasyTouch, you can't use the buttons on the cell to make any adjustments. You have to use the EasyTouch's little 3" Display, or ScreenLogic, if you have that.

It is also much easier to adjust the pump speed using the EasyTouch.

Schedule wise, to run 24/7, set the schedule for "Pool" to 8 am until 8 am...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim. And if I want to run at different speeds, I would add a feature with a different pump speed and then schedule a different time range? And is there an option to not run heat overnight but keep the pump running?

And if I want to run at different speeds, I would add a feature with a different pump speed and then schedule a different time range?
Wayne,

Yes.. Just keep in mind that your Pool circuit needs to be fast enough to turn on your SWCG. That would be the slowest speed you ever want to run. And.. any feature circuit needs to be a faster speed than the pool circuit.

Heater wise, you could run Pool at a speed that turns on the SWCG, but that is not fastest enough to turn on the heater. Then you could schedule the "Heater speed" to only run during the day.

If you have ScreenLogic on a PC, you can schedule the temperature you want based upon time of day. See the below example for my spa..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I had no idea about the feature circuit needing to be a faster speed. And I would assume the best thing to do is experiment with different speeds and see when the SWG starts/stops as well as the heat? And would it be better to set the Pool to run at night, since the slower speeds should probably be while the pool is not being used?

Wayne,

Most people that run 24/7, want their SWCG to work 24/7.. For the SWCG to work, the "Pool or Spa" circuit has to be on.

This means that you schedule your Pool circuit to run 8 am until 8 am (24 hours...)

Then you turn on "Additional" circuits to make the pump speed up or turn off the additional circuit to make the pump slow down.

Here a made up example..

Pool (1200 RPM) scheduled to run 24/7..
Skim Low (1500 RPM) scheduled to run 10 am until 11 am
Skim High (2000 RPM) scheduled to run 1 pm until 6 pm
Waterfall (2800 RPM) scheduled to run 5 pm until 7 pm

Here is what will happen..

At 8 am the pump starts and runs at 1200 RPM, the SWCG is on and stays on 24/7
At 10 am Skim low comes on and the pump increase speed to 1500 RPM
At 11 am Skim low turns off and the pump slows down to 1200 RPM
At 1 pm Skim High turns on and the pump increase speed to 2000 RPM.
At 5 pm the Waterfall comes on and the pump increase speed to 2800 RPM
At 6 pm Skim High turns off, but since Waterfall is still on the speed remains at 2800 RPM.
At 7 pm Waterfall turns off and the pump speed slows down to 1200 RPM as the Pool circuit is the only circuit still on.
At 8 am everything repeats...

Please let me know it the above example does not make sense.. Below is a screenshot of a similar speed set up..

Disregard the heater circuit at 1000..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wayne,

Most people that run 24/7, want their SWCG to work 24/7.. For the SWCG to work, the "Pool or Spa" circuit has to be on.

This means that you schedule your Pool circuit to run 8 am until 8 am (24 hours...)

Then you turn on "Additional" circuits to make the pump speed up or turn off the additional circuit to make the pump slow down.

Here a made up example..

Pool (1200 RPM) scheduled to run 24/7..
Skim Low (1500 RPM) scheduled to run 10 am until 11 am
Skim High (2000 RPM) scheduled to run 1 pm until 6 pm
Waterfall (2800 RPM) scheduled to run 5 pm until 7 pm

Here is what will happen..

At 8 am the pump starts and runs at 1200 RPM, the SWCG is on and stays on 24/7
At 10 am Skim low comes on and the pump increase speed to 1500 RPM
At 11 am Skim low turns off and the pump slows down to 1200 RPM
At 1 pm Skim High turns on and the pump increase speed to 2000 RPM.
At 5 pm the Waterfall comes on and the pump increase speed to 2800 RPM
At 6 pm Skim High turns off, but since Waterfall is still on the speed remains at 2800 RPM.
At 7 pm Waterfall turns off and the pump speed slows down to 1200 RPM as the Pool circuit is the only circuit still on.
At 8 am everything repeats...

Please let me know it the above example does not make sense.. Below is a screenshot of a similar speed set up..

Disregard the heater circuit at 1000..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim - that is exactly what I was looking for!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.