Does the filter head connect directly to the standpipe?

May 23, 2012
Montreal, Canada
So I've run into a bit of an issue. while deep cleaning my sand filter I got the bright idea of changing it's position slightly by rolling it as I didn't want a ton of water by my house running down the foundation. Doing so made the sand shift and actually raise the standpipe to where the valve head would not fit back on. To not break the laterals, I emptied the sand and upon trying a dry fit of it all before refilling I'm noticing that the standpipe is so low now that the head doesn't connect to it, should it? So I have the pipe, a basket ( that can connect to the pipe or to the head) and the head with a pipe coming out the bottom.

Should these 3 parts connect to form a cohesive unit? I would think so to not let sand down the pipe but unsure how to proceed.

If I connect the head to the pipe beforehand, well, forgot about adding sand. haha.

My only thought now is to add a bit of sand to the bottom till I can dry fit it all to fit. Strange as I've changed the sand before and don't remember this issue but then again, this time I did find sand in my laterals when I cleaned them out.

Thanks for the help, I'll add pics shortly

I was looking at your parts breakdown HERE and it shows a 1 1/2" upper portion of the standpipe, separate form the main one in the filter. Is that what I'm seeing jammed-up in the multiport valve in pic #2? Any chance that got pushed up/in too far during all the movement? You do want the main center pipe connected all the way up and into the bottom of the MPV. Yours just happens to be a model that used an additional piece (1.5 inches) to get there.

So pretty sure you're right but impossible to get out given the 1/2"-3/4" grip I have left on it. Also im able to feel the end of the pipe with my finger in it, unfortunately seems to have slightly taken the shape of something in the head and deformed the pipe at two spots ( like keyed on opposite sides )so my next step will be to take apart the top of the valve to see if I can get at it and push it down from there. If I do get it out I'll need a new pipe, If I can't, can another head from the same manufacturer possibly fit?

Last edited:
full

Yes exactly, No access to knock it out from the top at all so looks like I'll be trying to cut the pipe out gently. Trying to twist it with pliers was just eating into very brittle pipe so if I'm lucky, maybe breaking it in place could produce a crack upwards.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Attachments

• IMG_5644.JPG
    IMG_5644.JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5645.JPG
    IMG_5645.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.