Does salt in a former SWG pool effect pool chemistry using the TFPC method?

I don't understand how removing the SWG (or not running it) will help your tile if you keep the salt in the pool. It's the salt, not the chlorine that's affecting the tile. I would seal it, wash it after a day of splashing, and fix the SWG. Putting in bleach manually is a pain the rear.

Do you have a pool vac that is constantly spraying water onto the tile? How is the tile always getting wet from the pool water?

I don't understand how removing the SWG (or not running it) will help your tile if you keep the salt in the pool. It's the salt, not the chlorine that's affecting the tile. I would seal it, wash it after a day of splashing, and fix the SWG. Putting in bleach manually is a pain the rear.

No, that was not my ultimate strategy. I was "trialling" what would be required to convert to a liquid chlorine (or similar type system) from my salt system. I was planning to try it for a few months to see how involved or difficult it would be to maintain this way. If I then decided to completely abandon the SWG in my pool (which requires a new generator anyways because it died after 13 years), I could then drain the pool a bit (maybe keep just a touch of salt to keep the softener feeling if possible - don't know what level of salt that would be) and remove most all the salt (and high Calcium) and continue with the newer technique. But since water is expensive in California and there is a severe drought expected all summer, I could hold off on my final decision to see how I make it through the tough summer months without wasting water.

I guess I'm not really concerned about the cost of liquid chlorine for my pool (probably comes to about $800-$1,000 a year I'm guessing at this point), but the inconvenience of it. Purchasing 8 boxes (16 gallons) of chlorine every week and pouring in acid every 1-3 days seems like a lot of work. Going with the pump injection technique would require an accurate assessment of my exact weekly usage and an additional cost I wasn't so sure I wanted to do just yet.

The other thing to consider is that currently my pad is just on the other side of a wooden divider wall and exposed to the direct sun for a good portion of the day. So all my equipment (pumps, tanks, and chlorine storage) would probably not be a good idea until I build my pool shed to completely cover all my pool equipment.

This does remind me that it's time to reseal my tile. Does anyone have a preference for sealers for pool travertine coping? I know there are both water soluble and non water-soluble sealers out there. So much to choose from. Which is best?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.