Spool Boy

Jan 28, 2024
Roswell, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I’m building a new house and my next door neighbor, who is also building but 4 months ahead of me, has a fully installed SWG pool, which I estimate to be 25,000 gallons. His pool contractor installed the overflow between our properties. My land is still being graded, but will end up about 4 feet lower than his property. Therefore, his overflow will funnel down to my property in an area which will be a garden bed with small trees and shrubs. My question is, should I be concerned about the amount or chemical makeup of the overflow and if it will affect my plantings?

My question is, should I be concerned about the amount or chemical makeup of the overflow and if it will affect my plantings?

Depends on…
  • Pool water chemistry
  • type of plants
  • frequency of discharge
  • how often plants get rain or fresh water

Depending on where you live, and the local codes, your neighbor can't allow any water to find it's way into your yard, let alone "polluted" discharge from a pool. Allen's right, it's going to depend on many factors, but the short version is: every pool is a saltwater pool. That overflow will be brackish water. You might be able to find plants that will thrive in that, but your landscaping choices will be limited.

Have you spoken to the neighbor about the problem? That's the first step. Voice your concern and see if he'll do the right thing (routing the water such that it doesn't get to your property). Keeping a good relationship with a neighbor should be a high priority. So start there.

Check if your jurisdiction has regulations on the discharge of waste water. In many areas it is the homeowners responsibility to discharge the wastewater safely and not on other’s property.

Reactions: Dirk
I have not addressed the issue with my neighbor but have brought it to the attention of our builder, who also built the neighbor‘s house. They just got their CO a few of weeks ago, so it’s still a builder warranty issue.

Regarding local regulations, so far I haven’t been able to find anything that specifically mentions pool overflow. However, we do have very clear storm water management regulations which state that a person cannot collect and direct storm water onto a neighbor’s property. My guess is, there is probably something regarding pools but I just haven’t located it yet.

Pool overflow is typically due to stormwater. Pools suffer evaporation, and only refill via hose, autofill, or stormwater. Typically stormwater is the primary cause for pool overflow.
Exactly.

@Spool Boy, the regulations you found addressing storm water management is what you were looking for. That will cover the pool overflow as well. You have him dead to rights, but as I mentioned, the best course of action (IMO) is to engage the neighbor and "coerce" him into doing the right thing. If he balks, then you can step it up (showing him the ordinance, writing a demand letter, involving governing bodies, etc).

Since you are both using the same builder (who is actually the one liable for the problem), maybe there is a way to combine efforts, as you will also need a similar solution to direct your pool's overflow properly. That might be your in with the neighbor. Mention to him the drainage is going to be an issue, and that both you and he need to get the builder to make it right, for both properties. Ally with him. The enemy of your enemy is your friend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.