Does my Pebble look right?

Levite805

Jun 5, 2021
Phoenix
My pool was finished in April 2022 and my pebblesheen is splotchy. It has these dark spots throughout the entire pool and the dark spots looks like it has low density of pebbles in there. My PB insisted it just needed another acid wash. Fast forward to today, they just drained and re-acid washed my pool and it is currently being filled back up again.

This is what it looks like throughout my pool.
messages_0 (9).jpeg

It is still noticeable with water.

What I am asking to the experts here is what do I need to ask my pool builder to do? Re-surface/re-pebble my pool? Ask for some money back?

Not an expert here, but that does not look right. Either because of the way the pebbles were applied, or the way they were acid washed (both would be my guess), they're not revealing well at all. While my finish is not uniformly smooth, the pebble reveal is very uniform (as it should be). I don't have a great pic, this one was taken for another reason, but if you look at the pebble just below the edge tile, you can see a very uniform reveal, 'rich' with pebbles, void of any areas that are missing pebbles. My whole pool looks like that. Yours seems to have large areas where the reveal of the pebbles is significantly different than in other areas.

edge tile.jpg

You probably picked your pebble color from a sample similar to this. Does your finish look like this? Granted, the process to make this sample is not the same as applying it to a pool, and I'm sure great care was taken to make it very uniform and rich with pebbles. But your finish looks nothing like this, where mine is pretty close. Besides, if the contractor showed you a sample, he aught to be able to make your pool look like it, or be on the hook if he can't.
_pebbletec_blue_wave_dpi__1553277293.jpg

There's also the matter of the second acid wash. It's possible to do an acid wash well, but any acid wash reduces the life of your pool's finish, and that's a fact. The first one, if done correctly, was supposed to be just aggressive enough to skim off the plaster just enough to reveal all the pebbles. But whatever pebbles were at the correct depth after the first wash might now have been compromised by getting washed again while the worker was trying to reveal more of the buried ones. The process they likely used is not precise enough to spot treat like that.

Acid washing is always the go-to move when a contractor fails to achieve a great finish the first time. It's really the only thing he can do (quickly and inexpensively, that is) to try and make up for inconsistencies. But acid washing removes plaster, and it is the plaster that is holding the pebbles in place. Too aggressive a wash, or a second wash, can weaken that hold, and unfortunately for you, the damage done (if there was any) might not reveal itself for many years (after your warranty has expired).

Is the water too cold now to get in? Once filled, it's going to be tough to see what they did or didn't do. Getting in with a mask or goggles and inspecting the finish would be prudent. Otherwise, you might get a nasty surprise next summer when the sun is up higher.

Sorry, that's all worst case. It's hard to tell from your pic if that's what has happened. But I wanted to share that so you might better know what to look for, and to have some ammo for your next conversation with the contractor. If he can do a quick wash and get you to accept it, he'll be long gone, along with your warranty, should anything go wrong years from now. It's not just a matter of cosmetics, longevity might be at stake, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.