Does intex debri cover prevent chlorine from burning off?

Apr 18, 2018
Lakewood, OH
We’re going on a 9 day vacation and have a 14’ x 14’ intex pool.

I was thinking about shocking it to 30 ppm (our CYA is 65). We have a 1hp pump, cartridge filter and slimmer (tossed the pump that came with the pool). We have the pump on a timer and it runs for 3 hours a day (1 hour intervals spread throughout the day).

We also have a solar cover and black debri cover that came with the pool.

My question is, if we shock it and put the solar cover AND debri cover on, will that prevent the chlorine from burning off? My hope is to keep the chlorine level high enough until we return.

If the debri cover cover does prevent the chlorine from burning off, is it bad to have the chlorine that high for that long? Maybe we shouldn’t shock it and keep it at 8ppm (which is our normal level)?

A cover will reduce chlorine loss.

In the past I have left my pool for up to 10 days and come back to clear water. I cleaned the pool (brushed and vacuumed), next day backwashed the filter, brought the pool to slam level, added some pucks in a floater, covered and prayed.

I was using the built in Timer on the Intex pump, which is fine for daily timing--until a power outage tripped the GFCI an killed power to the pump at some point during our trip. I can only expect there was no circulation during most of the trip.

Good news was things were fine and I pulled the floater out of the pool. The CYA added by the tabs was a small, manageable amount. FC was still within target range when we got home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.