Does calcium chloride raise salt levels?

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
I’ve been draining and refilling my pool for several days due to a mistake in adding too much salt. My CH is reading at 240. If I raise the level to 350 will this also raise my salt level as I’m assuming chloride = salt? The salt level is still reading at 3800.

What is the CH of your fill water?

250 is good enough. Being ideal will not make a difference.

What is your CSI?

Any effect on your salt level by adding calcium chloride is minor and a rounding error.

Raising your CH by 100ppm will require 8lbs of calcium chloride.

If that is the same as adding 8lbs of salt it adds 109ppm to your salt. That is less then the +/- testing error on any of our salt measurements.

To me that is nil, nada, no real effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flbeachluvr
CaCl2 Molar mass: 110.98 g/mol

NaCl Molar mass: 58.44 g/mol

110.98 grams of CaCl2 provides 1 mole of calcium ions and 2 moles of chloride ions.

CaCl2 --> Ca2+ + 2Cl-

116.88 grams of sodium chloride provides 2 moles of sodium ions and 2 moles of chloride ions.

2NaCl --> 2Na+ + 2Cl-

110.98 grams of CaCl2 is equivalent to 116.88 grams of sodium chloride.

1 gram of CaCl2 is equivalent to 1.053 grams of sodium chloride.

38 pounds of calcium chloride anhydrous is equal to adding 40 pounds of sodium chloride salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Calcium chloride dihydrate

CaCl2 · 2H2O

Molecular Weight: 147.01

147.01 grams of CaCl2 • 2H2O is equivalent to 116.88 grams of sodium chloride.

1.00 grams of Calcium chloride dihydrate is equivalent to 0.795 grams of sodium chloride.

50 pounds of Calcium chloride dihydrate is equal to 40 pounds of sodium chloride salt.

Oops -0.31

CSI goes up as water temperature increases and CSI goes down as water temperature decreases.

I would rather see your CSI with a water temperature of 92 be between -0.3 and 0. So as water temperature drops in the fall your CSI does not drop too much.

I would run your pH between 7.8-7.8. Let it drift up to 8 then lower it to the 7.6-7.8 range. Don't lower it to 7.4.

Keep an eye on your CSI in the winter and don't let it get below -0.6.

CSI goes up as water temperature increases and CSI goes down as water temperature decreases.

I would rather see your CSI with a water temperature of 92 be between -0.3 and 0. So as water temperature drops in the fall your CSI does not drop too much.

I would run your pH between 7.8-7.8. Let it drift up to 8 then lower it to the 7.6-7.8 range. Don't lower it to 7.4.

Keep an eye on your CSI in the winter and don't let it get below -0.6.
That makes sense. I do usually let my pH run a bit higher.

Anything with chloride will raise the salt level including hydrochloric acid (hydrogen chloride), all types of chlorine, sodium chloride, calcium chloride, bromine.

Any form of salt like lithium chloride, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium chloride or calcium chloride will add chloride ions and raise the salinity level.

For some reason, some places in Australia push the use of magnesium chloride.

For a 10,000 gallon pool.

608 oz (38 lb) Calcium chloride anhydrous will raise the CH by 411 ppm.

806 oz (50.3 pounds) of Calcium chloride dihydrate will raise the CH by 411 ppm.

40 pounds of sodium chloride salt will raise the salinity by 478 ppm

Raising the CH by 411 ppm will raise the salinity by 478 ppm.

Raising the CH by 100 ppm will raise the salinity by 116.3 ppm.

Reactions: newbie919
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.