Does anybody make a skimmer basket that lasts?

Did I mention those weights break off on mine too? I shake the basket out in the yard and then have to go pick the weight out of the muck.
I think the metal handle of the one I have is all the weight it needs to stay down in the skimmer, so there's no additional weights to come loose or break off. Sometimes the handle slides off when I bang the basket around in the bucket I use to collect the muck, but it slides right back on.

Speaking of which, I mistreat mine regularly like that, even banging it repeatedly on my concrete deck. Seems pretty tough. Not sure why some of you are burning through these, but there are some well-made toughies out there.

It's not just skimmer baskets. Telescoping pool poles are a disgrace.
Did I mention those weights break off on mine too? I shake the basket out in the yard and then have to go pick the weight out of the muck.

Ugh.

This will cost a little, but I think it will solve all of your problems:
  1. Buy the Val-Pak skimmer basket. It has a metal weight molded into the bottom. Can't break off. I think this is the one you want, but you might want to contact Val-Pak to confirm: Val Pak V60-555.
  2. If the basket has a handle, remove it and throw it away.
  3. Buy the Skimmie Sock Lock. It's a plastic base that you mount with screws to the inside of your basket, and a tall plastic handle that attaches/detaches from the base with a quarter turn. Your skimmer socks or hairnets are captured between the base and handle. Photos of mine: Skimmer baskets. The one bad thing: To mount the base, you'll need to drill through the metal weight in the bottom of the Val-Pak basket.
  4. Buy a Pro-Tuff pole.

I have had the weight become loose, I just put a small zip tip through it and the basket webbing and good as new. Over time the chlorine will eat at the zip tie. I even have used fishing line thinking that will last longer but got about the same results.

Buy the Skimmie Sock Lock. It's a plastic base that you mount with screws to the inside of your basket, and a tall plastic handle that attaches/detaches from the base with a quarter turn. Your skimmer socks or hairnets are captured between the base and handle. Photos of mine: Skimmer baskets.
I like this. Great idea, especially for those baskets that do not have a weight in the bottom.

Hmmm, maybe mine isn’t the same? The bottom weight seems to be molded into the plastic; there’s absolutely no sign of anything coming loose.

That one looks great. So the 12' model: is it 12' and extends longer? Or is it 6' and extends to 12'? Because more often than not I need shorter than 12'.
It's 6 feet collapsed, 12 feet fully extended. It can be adjusted in 6-inch increments (or maybe 12-inch; I don't have it in front of me) between those two extremes.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk
Val-Pak's replacement skimmer baskets are very good. The one I bought for my pool is significantly nicer than the OEM Pentair basket.

If that Super Pro Generic B-152 basket fit your skimmer, Val-Pak part number V60-555 will also fit: V60-555 – Val-Pak Hayward SP1082 & SP1084 Skimmer Basket – SPX1082CA – Val-Pak Products
The outfit selling the Val-Paks on Amazon looks to be a bit sketchy, so I took a chance on this brand:

The handle is metal. There's isn't a weight, but it sinks down just fine and fits snugly. So far so good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The outfit selling the Val-Paks on Amazon looks to be a bit sketchy, so I took a chance on this brand:

The handle is metal. There's isn't a weight, but it sinks down just fine and fits snugly. So far so good.
I've seen those baskets. They're nice, but there is a reason that ValPak baskets cost double that, they last forever. They used to be advertised at trade shows with a truck parked on 4 in the parking lot. New ones have the handle/weight built in. My 25-year-old one has it as a separate bar/handle. Next time?

Last edited:
Well … all this talk about broken pool stuff jinxed me. I went to use my leaf skimmer and pole and the plastic retainer around the leaf net totally disintegrated. I’m sure it’s TFP’s fault and has nothing to do with the blazing heat and UV we get in Tucson … yup, totally the fault of all this unhappy talk.

Anyway, I just ordered the ProTuff telescoping pole and 19.5” leaf net. Let see if they honor their “No Hassle Lifetime Warranty” after a few seasons in the Arizona sun … um, I mean after you all jinx it.

I keep a supply of wooden dowels. Drilled out the broken plastic nib and jam in the dowels. Requires replacement over time but is easy to do. Baskets going on 6 or 7 years in that fashion.

I just got mine delivered yesterday. Pole, leaf net, and the Rube-Goldberg machine that they call a chemical floater (seriously, took me like 10mins just to figure out how it opens). The telescoping pole is really solid and sturdy. The leaf net looks pretty rugged too but not unlike other nets I have owned. I almost don’t want to leave the pole outside for fear of it getting trashed. Maybe I’ll kick my teenage son out of his room and turn it into a storage room for all my coveted possessions … “sorry son, but this leaf net is working harder than you right now … I hear the deck loungers are comfortable… don’t forget your pillow …

Mine is still a few days out. If I like it, I may get a second one for netting. This one is for brushing. I think the brush and nets I have will go on the same pole, we'll see. I could swap attachments, of course, but having the two poles I have now is convenient. Yah, that's how lazy I am!

Both poles live outside. Both have plastic parts that don't do well in the sun. I was hoping this new one would be a solution for that. Mine are mostly shaded, hiding behind a bush and my AC unit, but the sun sneaks onto them for part of the day. I made some brackets for them out of ABS pipe. Those should outlast me.

The "lasting" of the poles and brackets, and the plastic components, see, is what justifies these posts, I'm not hijacking this thread. Uh huh...

pool pole holder.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.