Does a SWG cell fail slowly or all at once?

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Hi, The title is the question. I am trying to determine if I have a failing SWG. I do not know how old it is, only that I have had it for 3 years and picked it up used.

Do they fail all at once or just start producing less and less chlorine?

I know I can test it by putting it in a bucket. But really the question is in the title.

They will usually start saying you have lower salt than actual and produce less fc although some just up & die. You need to independently test your salinity level to confirm this is happening.
There should be a serial number on the cell that you can determine the age from.
Many pool stores test hayward cells.
You can attempt to collect an fc sample directly from the return & compare it with the bulk of the pool water.
You can also do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with the swg off to rule out algae first & once you pass that then do an overnight chlorine gain test with the swg setting it at 100% & compare your output to
PoolMath to see where you stand.

They will usually start saying you have lower salt than actual and produce less fc although some just up & die. You need to independently test your salinity level to confirm this is happening.
There should be a serial number on the cell that you can determine the age from.
Many pool stores test hayward cells.
You can attempt to collect an fc sample directly from the return & compare it with the bulk of the pool water.
You can also do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with the swg off to rule out algae first & once you pass that then do an overnight chlorine gain test with the swg setting it at 100% & compare your output to
PoolMath to see where you stand.
Thank you 88 and Texas, this is what I needed to know.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Adding to my question on how these work...

1. Does more salt, 3400 vs 2800 mean more chlorine generated?
2. Does flow, as in faster moving water mean more chlorine generated? If the sand filter is clogged and needs to be backwashed, that will slow the speed of the water, and thus the amount of water that is circulating, does that reduce the amount of chlorine generated? My thinking is if the water is moving slower, its just making more chlorine for that slower moving water so it would be the same amount of chlorine. Or is that wrong?

I have the Edge40 and I have a “ check cell” and Circupool said if its steady it’s starting to show end of life but keep using it.
They said it would start flashing next.

It has also complained of
Low salt, it’s about 4 years old and they said they won’t consider warranty repair until
It quits making chlorine.

Adding to my question on how these work...

1. Does more salt, 3400 vs 2800 mean more chlorine generated?
No

2. Does flow, as in faster moving water mean more chlorine generated? If the sand filter is clogged and needs to be backwashed, that will slow the speed of the water, and thus the amount of water that is circulating, does that reduce the amount of chlorine generated? My thinking is if the water is moving slower, its just making more chlorine for that slower moving water so it would be the same amount of chlorine. Or is that wrong?
No - if the flow switch is engaged the swg operates- it either has adequate flow to operate or it doesn’t.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.