Do you remove the pool stairs when closing pool at end of season?

I have wedding cake steps & leave mine in. I remove the hand rail & the weights from underneath & set the weights (concrete filled bleach jugs) on the 2nd step.
I pull them out & clean them then put them back for their winter nap 😴
We don’t get the harsh winters quite like you but my pool does freeze a bit although not sure if it gets completely solid. My steps are huge/heavy & it would be a major undertaking to fit them in my shed. I certainly don’t want to look at them on my pool deck all winter either.

Reactions: Ticojpunk
I have Confer brand steps and they suggested that some people leave them in after removing the bridge between the 2 sides.

We take them out, last season was the first season with the Confer steps. They were slightly easier to lift out then our previous steps due to the Confer did come apart. Our last steps were an all in one step system and it was extremely heavy the Confer was slightly less! But both were filled with water and we needed to drain them a little at a time to coax it out of the water.

I take mine out each year.

I have ones like these - https://lesliespool.com/main-access-easy-entry-36in.-drop-in-step---taupe/306130.html

I have the factory weighs for them, which clip onto the sides, so I can actually lay on my deck, reach the handle on the weight, unclip it and remove it without getting into the pool.

I remove both weights, and then pull the stairs out. It has to be done slowly so they can drain, but it's is only a few minutes.

I remove the handrails, and store all of it in one of my sheds.

I take mine out each year.

I have ones like these - https://lesliespool.com/main-access-easy-entry-36in.-drop-in-step---taupe/306130.html

I have the factory weighs for them, which clip onto the sides, so I can actually lay on my deck, reach the handle on the weight, unclip it and remove it without getting into the pool.

I remove both weights, and then pull the stairs out. It has to be done slowly so they can drain, but it's is only a few minutes.

I remove the handrails, and store all of it in one of my sheds.
I have a very similar set. It's the Main Access Smart Stairs with deck conversion kits, so I think it's basically the same thing. What weights do you use? I was going to fill two plastic gas cans with 50lbs of sand each and put them on that little shelf that's under the stairs. Wondering if there's an easier way? The stair set came with two plastic bags that you're supposed to put the sand bags into, but i don't trust them to not rip open.

I have a very similar set. It's the Main Access Smart Stairs with deck conversion kits, so I think it's basically the same thing. What weights do you use? I was going to fill two plastic gas cans with 50lbs of sand each and put them on that little shelf that's under the stairs. Wondering if there's an easier way? The stair set came with two plastic bags that you're supposed to put the sand bags into, but i don't trust them to not rip open.

These (or something similar) are the weights I use

My stairs are at least 5, if not more, years old. I cannot recall what manufacture makes them - I think I got them from INYO pools, but that could be wrong too. I ordered the weighs at the same time.

The weights come with brackets that attach to the sides of the stairs. The weights then clip into the brackets by sliding down into them. I can remove the weights by grabbing the built in handles and lifting straight up.

My stairs do not have a shelf under them, and once they are in the pool, there is no way to get under them. It is a safety thing, so nobody can get trapped in there. Water flows through the "bars" just fine, but not people.

Also, my weights are about 30 lbs each when full. 100 lbs of weight is a lot of weight. When the stairs themselves fill with water, they really do not have much floatation to them.

Also, I say no to sand, and use pea gravel (3/8") instead. If you get a crack in your weight container (whatever you end up using) it is a lot easier to clean up pea gravel, if it even makes it out of the crack in the first place, than sand.

Reactions: Mdragger88
These (or something similar) are the weights I use

My stairs are at least 5, if not more, years old. I cannot recall what manufacture makes them - I think I got them from INYO pools, but that could be wrong too. I ordered the weighs at the same time.

The weights come with brackets that attach to the sides of the stairs. The weights then clip into the brackets by sliding down into them. I can remove the weights by grabbing the built in handles and lifting straight up.

My stairs do not have a shelf under them, and once they are in the pool, there is no way to get under them. It is a safety thing, so nobody can get trapped in there. Water flows through the "bars" just fine, but not people.

Also, my weights are about 30 lbs each when full. 100 lbs of weight is a lot of weight. When the stairs themselves fill with water, they really do not have much floatation to them.

Also, I say no to sand, and use pea gravel (3/8") instead. If you get a crack in your weight container (whatever you end up using) it is a lot easier to clean up pea gravel, if it even makes it out of the crack in the first place, than sand.
probably a good idea with the pea gravel. I have an extra bag of pea gravel, so I can compare two cylinders side by side and see how the weight compares between the gravel and the sand.

Yes, always. And today I’m cleaning them really good with bleach (they are white and got dusty and dirty in the garage…ew), assembling, and putting them back into the pool. I’ve been “open” for a month, but obviously it’s been too cold to swim, so no need for the steps yet. Some decent swimming weather is coming up, so I’m putting them in today for the summer. Removing them in the fall just makes it easier to clean the pool before closing and in the spring at opening. Not sure when you close and open your pool, but if you usually open up green or with lots of crud in the pool, they can really get in the way of your brushing/cleaning. Removing isn’t a must, though. It’s all personal preference. Mine are HEAVY, so it’s not a fun task.

Last edited:
Yes, always. And today I’m cleaning them really good with bleach (they are white and got dusty and dirty in the garage…ew), assembling, and putting them back into the pool. I’ve been “open” for a month, but obviously it’s been too cold to swim, so no need for the steps yet. Some decent swimming weather is coming up, so I’m putting them in today for the summer. Removing them in the fall just makes it easier to clean the pool before closing and in the spring at opening. Not sure when you close and open your pool, but if you usually open up green or with lots of crud in the pool, they can really get in the way of your brushing/cleaning. Removing isn’t a must, though. It’s all personal preference. Mine are HEAVY, so it’s not a fun task.

I remove mine because otherwise the handrails would be in the way of my winter cover. If I am going to mess around with taking the handrails off while they are in the pool, I might as well just pull the whole set of stairs out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.