Do you need to shock a spa on a regular basis?

wayner

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2012
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My spa was originally using Bromine pucks. A few years ago I switched to a drape over SWCG. My spa is a jacuzzi tub that is covered by a 4" thick foam cover when not in use.

Assuming that the spa is fine and CC is below 0.5 is there any need to ever shock the spa?

I don't shock routinely.

I'm on bromine and I usually just add some chlorine to reactivate the bromine after spa was used - the more people/longer time the more chlorine I add. Also, sometimes when my pucks have mostly dissolved and the bromine level drops 1-3ppm I add some chlorine to re-up the bromine level a bit while I add more pucks to the floater.

Thanks. When I was on bromine I used to throw in a bit of "Spa Shock" on a regular basis. My water was generally fine, although from time to time I ran out of bromine in the dispenser.

But I do so far less frequently now that I am using a SWCG. My water is a bit clearer and there is less chemical odour in the three years or so since I switched to the SWCG.

A swg produces locally high chlorine levels sufficient to "shock" (burn off cc) within the cell. This significantly decreases the need to shock on an inline system. I am usure with a drape over type, but logic suggests it has a similar effect.

Reactions: wayner
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.