Do you have to have rocks around above ground pool?

Ashmiddle

Jun 23, 2022
Rockwall TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have an above ground pool. Well some of the pool is inground and then above ground. This pool was here when we bought our house. There is rocks around the perimeter of the pool. It’s starting to get over grown with weeds and grass. So my question is, do we need to have rocks around the pool or can I just remove the rock and let grass grow around the pool? Wasn’t sure if the rocks were for looks or there for a reason. Thanks

Ash,

Your pool does not need the rocks other than for the visual effect.

That said, replacing the rocks with grass means that you will have to keep the grass trimmed which is hard to do without the grass getting into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wasn’t sure if the rocks were for looks or there for a reason. Thanks

replacing the rocks with grass means that you will have to keep the grass trimmed which is hard to do without the grass getting into the pool.
@Jimrahbe is spot on, totally aesthetic. Maybe some landscape fabric weed barrier under the rocks would eliminate the weeds. Should have been done when they added the rock.

If you let the grass grow right up to the pool you will have to use a string trimmer to keep the grass under control. You will damage the wall and uprights, which will remove the paint and then rust will start.

Reactions: Bperry
And if you have a soft sided pool, you will puncture the liner with a string trimmer. Better to have some sort of landscape around the permitter. We use bug spray and weed killer to control this area. But it is minimal as I laid 4 inches of process, then weed fabric then rubberized mulch.

As soon as any sort of dirt begins to collect in the rock, no amount of weed barrier under it is going to do anything. Dirt blows in, leaves fall and rot, etc. You will get weeds in rock.

I have a LOT of rock in my yard. I have found two things that work well at keeping weeds under control

1. Fire. A weed torch works great. Maybe not so much near a pool. Definitely not so much near your neighbors highly flammable decorative grasses. :oops:. Also, if you have weed fabric under the rock, it will melt it.

2. Weed killer. I try not to use weed killer for two reasons. The environment and my dog. My dog actually likes to lick it. If I put down any sort of pesticide or herbicide, and let my dog into the yard, he will go over to the spot and lick it. What works (and what he does not lick) is vinegar. The good vinegar. This vinegar

This is not nice stuff. Do not inhale it, do not get it in your eyes, do not put it on your salad. Mix in a little Epsom salt and a drop of dish detergent and spray it on whatever you want dead. Preferably on a hot, dry day.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If this is a traditional metal wall above ground pool, you will need something to prevent water from collecting around the base of the pool. You should clear grass and weeds away from the wall about a foot out. Then put down some landscape fabric to prevent weeds and grass from growing up through there around the pool. Lay about 2" of sand around that and cover the sand with a landscape material of your choice. You want it to be something that drains well. This is why most people use small rocks. I had a lot of extra brick from pulling down a short brick wall so that is what I used around my pool. You could plant grass on top but you would want to prepare the ground with sand or pebbles mixed with dirt so it will drain, and form it so it slopes away from the pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
At one point when we didn't have rocks. We had a rodent dig under the pool liner leaving tunnels of indentation in the liner. This really cannot be fixed after. Luckily, the liner was quite old and was being replaced the next spring.

I think because the water is still warm in the fall, rodents may like to dig underneath thinking it will be a warm place to spend the winter. Rocks around the pool will help to prevent this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.