Do Raypak heaters come with flexible weatherproof gas line connectors?

I'm thinking many of us are thinking of the flexible line used for stoves/dryers and what your folks up there are talking about is totally different.

I'm not so sure it is a different thing. There are a few web discussions on exterior applications of these internal appliance connectors (with no clear consensus). I'm in Chicago, not that far from Madison, and it gets ridiculously cold here. My gas heater is on a concrete pad and connected with a standard black gas line. It's been repaired and inspected numerous times and nobody has ever hinted that a solid connection was inappropriate.

Yes but not on a pool heater. Rigid pipe like the black pipe I see in your picture us usually used. I'm assuming they used rigid pie inside the heater thru the opening for the gas pipe and then they hooked up a T with a sediment trap and then I guess they used this line you are showing to connect it to the pipe that is capped off in the picture with a shut off valve.

The connection from my gas meter to pool is both. It's starts out a solid metal pipe, transitions to a plastic pipe before disappearing underground. It reappears at the pool equipment pad where it turns back into a metal pipe.

I think what they are worried about is the line cracking underground, hence the use of a flexible plastic pipe. It also won't rust so being exposed to the damp/moist soil isn't an issue.

At the pad, I'm sure a sufficient frost heave could break the metal pipe fittings but there it's all exposed. It should be easy tell if something were wrong. Underground, not so much.

The important thing is to have a gas shutoff on the pool line at the meter. Close the valve during winterization. When you open the pool in the spring, turn it back on. Just make sure you check the lines at the pad for any obvious signs of a leak before trying to use the heater.

Getting in contact with the city building department should answer any questions you have about how they require it to be connected.
Contact Us - Building Inspection - DPCED - City of Madison, Wisconsin

They may be able to point you to a hard copy of the requirements for connecting NG to a pool heater. Armed with that info, you can discuss it with prospective contractors and get proper bids to complete the work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.