Do I throw in the towel?

Good morning, Iowan. Just a quick note that goes back to your original question about draining...with a vinyl pool, you don't want to drain any lower than leaving 1 foot in the SHALLOW end to keep the liner in place. Also, if you have a high water table, you'd want water changes to be even less. In a single session to maintain pressure against the walls.

With respect to your question about which way to go...its hard for us to assess without knowing if you have ammonia and if so, how much. I believe i recall it takes 8-10 times the ppm of FC to break ammonia, but unless you happen to have an aquarium at home, you'd need to get an ammonia test to find out if tats the issue (which I suspect it may be.)

If you drain half and DO have ammonia, you will still have to break it down. When you can't completely empty to replace, you use quite a bit more water to dilute.

Maybe if you went to an Aldis for budget bleach (unscented and NOT splashless) you could just do the 10 min. Test and break it down pretty quickly without extraordinary expense...just a thought.

Let us know what you decide with these considerations in hand. Be sure NOT to add any cya until you're holding FC per the ammonia test or it will just convert to more ammonia.

Okay... I'm not sure if I'm making progress. I spent my evening trying to stay on top of this process between having to run kids around. I have (had) gallons of CL sitting by my pool ready to add...

I only had one test that I saw the FC level go up to 12. I keep adding enough CL to bring it up to 10ppm, but within 10 min it will be back down to 5-6ppm and it seems to hold in that range. Basically I've been putting 1gal+ every time I check it.

Am I making progress if I'm not able to stay on the 10 minute schedule??? It varies between 10-60 minutes between checks.

What happens when I need to go to bed and completely pause this process?

You are doing a good job. It is a hard job BUT it is working. It might get slowed down some when life outside the pool happens but that is fine! You will get it done and will not have to do this again!

Kim:cat:

We'll, when I went to bed last night the FC was at shock level. This morning it is at 1ppm. I a positive note I think I can just barely see the bottom of the shallow end... I added more chlorine this morning, but I have to go to work and pray!

Am I doing any good by putting extra in the pool before I leave, our is that just wasted chlorine?

Okay... Another day another big load of chlorine! I got an ammonia test today. Looks like very little if any, but my CL demand seems high. I'm still measuring and adding a gallon plus every 10 minutes. I'm sitting at about 55 gallons that I put in the pool this spring.

On the good side the pool is clearing. I can see the shallow end!

I am using a liquid chlorine designed as Pool Shock. It is 12.5% Chlorine. My CC hasn't changed much through all this. It has been floating between 1.0-2.5.

It has taken quite a bit of time, but here are my current numbers:
FC=13.5
CC=1.5
pH=7.2
TA=170
CH=210
CYA=35

The water is clean, but still not totally clear. I'm continuing the SLAM and my chlorine demand is dropping. I've been running my pool slide to help aerate my water. I haven't seen any real shift in my TA though. When I run my slide and it makes the water splash it is making a white foam on the top of the water. Nothing too thick, just a film on top of the water.

2 questions:

Do I need to be worried about my TA? I wasn't looking forward to putting acid in my pool to make it better.
Is that foam anything to worry about?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep going! I know it seems like a never ending bleach drain but you are making good progress!

You don't need to worry about your TA so much unless you are having problems keeping your pH balanced. It often settles to a sweet spot by itself. Also keep in mind that the pH test is not accurate when FC >10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.