Do I need to backwash after every vacuum session if I do "light vacuuming" 2-3 times a week?

gsfergy

May 14, 2022
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
I apologize if there is a thread on this already - new to TFP and I did try to find something that answers the following:

Do I need to backwash after every time I vacuum my above ground 15x30 oval pool?

Context -- I am asking because our backyard faces some trees and we probably get more debris than other pools in the area. So I find that I'd like to just clean the pool bottom quickly twice weekly, maybe three at most -- but in my head I'm thinking to backwash every time seems a bit much? Could I backwash once a week after I've vacuumed three times? I'm not picking up tons and tons of debris each session - but just keeping the bottom nice and clean.

Thoughts?

It depends on if the pressure on your filter goes up. We love using nets in our skimmer basket to keep larger debris out of our sand filter. A "dirty" sand filter does work better, but you have to watch the pressure :)

Reactions: amin36 and gsfergy
Welcome! :wave: Our general rule is backwash when there is an increase of pressure by about 25%. If you only vacuumed light dust and the pressure didn't increase much, there's no need to backwash and waste water/chemicals.

Reactions: amin36 and gsfergy
Thanks splashpad. I use a vacuum plate so the skimmer basket and pump basket pick up larger debris if any. I could add nets to help out. Is there a thread or a rule of thumb on pressure increase to look out for?

I have checked mine "casually" and I've not seen an increases -- but I also don't know how much of a pressure increase to look out for to know that I can't skip a backwash or that it's time for a backwash. Flow is good too btw - not sure if that matters :S

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.