Do I need CYA already present when using tricblor tabs?

burns04dm

May 27, 2023
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
Also I would like to say that this is not my intended route but just a general question.

Do you already need adequate levels of CYA (or under adequate levels since the tricolor tabs will be adding CYA) in your pool to use tricolor tabs. For instance, if I opened my pool and had 0 CYA (cold weather climate and close the pool for the winter months which I read depletes CYA), would I need to get my levels up to a certain point before using trichlor tabs to make the CYA effective, or does the amount added with 1 tab protect the chlorine that that tab emits into to the pool?

Again I do not intend and have not gone this route, I pretty much follow TFP methods precisely except that I am using cal-hypo instead of liquid bleach at the moment because I have a surplus left over from before I found this great site. Totally intend to switch to straight liquid once I run out.

And not sure if two questions are allowed under one post, but how often should I remove my cover to let the pool "breath" even while running the pump to make a complete turnover once a day. It seems that if I leave the cover on for about 3 days or more I start to run into some problems, even though the FC level is where it should be in relationship to my CYA level.

Any help would be greatly appreciate and please let me know if I did not follow any forum rules with this post.

Thank you!

P.S. I know I need to fill out my bio so that you all can help me a little better.

Welcome to the forum.

If you use trichlor, you should raise the CYA to 30 ppm first. Then monitor FC as it is difficult for just trichlor tablets to maintain the target FC. Test CYA every couple weeks. When CYA reaches 60 ppm, drain half the pool volume and replace with fresh water. Start over.

You should plan to open the pool cover for a couple hours every other day or three to let the sun hit the surface. This will remove any CC buildup and let some CO2 offgas so the pH does not drop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.