Do I need a variable speed pump?

So, from what you explain, and it makes sense, the only possible way I am getting air in the skimmer suction line has to be from a leak, there is no other possibility.
Anywhere between the pump and skimmer valve could possibly cause a leak. But yes, if air does not get into the lines with the pump off and you are sure air is not getting sucked into the skimmer via a vortex, then the leak is likely below water level.

They will come on Tuesday to pressure test the line. If the leak is confirmed, I have found out that my warranty only covers above ground plumbing, what a surprise...[emoji30]

That said, if there is a leak, it must be quite minor since I have never noticed any water loss or wet spots in my yard. When I'm pulling from all three suctions,main drain and both skimmers, the water does not show any air being sucked in, is this something I can live with or does it have to be fixed? It only pulls air if I am sucking only from the one line by itself. If it needs to be fixed, I wonder how deep pool plumping usually is, because I will be digging it up myself. That's why it was distressing to hear it would be below water level, I could see myself fixing it quite easily but being below the water could be a bigger problem than I can handle. I have a feeling it's been like this for some time... that's why am wondering if it something I can live with or needs to be addressed. I know leaks should be fixed but if it's minor it may not be that big of that big of a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-4. I will let you know what the pressure test shows.

Morning update, after pump sitting overnight it lost just enough to allow air to get just off the lid of the basket, but primed right up. I'm guessing it sat for at least eight hours. That was with all three suctions open.

Ok so the leak could be above water level. It will leak more when the pump is on vs off.

You might the valve orings because those can go bad too.

Thank you mas985. I will figure out the make and model and order the O-ring kits. So far, just plumbing repairs have eliminated most of the problem. If after making sure all connections and bells are airtight, I still lose a ~quart of water overnight, I don't think that would justify digging up plumbing to find.

The only true way to no if you need a variable speed pump is by doing a energy audit. this should be done by a qualified technician, so you can compare your existing pump kw usuage. If your power company gives rebates for VS pumps that also is a plus. The Flo Pro series from Jandy does have a auxiliary relay to wire in booster motor. The best way to go is to also add a automation system to control all your pool needs. The best feature of VS pump is you can control all your flow needs to save the most money on your electric bill.

Thanks kadavis, when I started this thread I was not sure my pumps were working adequately, but I think they are. I still would like to get a variable speed pump but I am going to wait to get a handle on everything I have going right now and then look at how to best serve myself with automation including variable speed pumps. I'm getting pretty excited about my first season with a pool, I have learned so much from this site I feel I will be very prepared to keep a trouble-free pool!

The only true way to no if you need a variable speed pump is by doing a energy audit. this should be done by a qualified technician, so you can compare your existing pump kw usuage.
I disagree! Anyone can figure out the energy use of a pump. It isn't rocket science and I have plenty of tools available to anyone to do so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.