Do I need a valve at bottom of slide?

Veccster

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
My equipment pad is about 10ft above water level.
Last year, I didn't properly winterize my slide line it cracked.
It's been replaced but the pool company that closed my pool felt there should've been a valve at the bottom of the slide to aid in closing it.
So the jerks cut my line and said they would install a valve when they open it. Well, I'm planning to open myself.

Soooo....do I need a valve there? Any suggestions on type of valve? Any benefit to having a 3-way valve to help with the clean-out?

I also have a clean-out halfway between the pad and the slide. It was done when the line was replaced as an extra precaution.

Any other suggestions?

1586877375071.png

1586877396356.png

1586877409556.png

Yes, you need something to drain the line if your pump is above the level of the slide.

Rather then a valve I would put a union on that can be unscrewed. Then the pipe up to the slide will drain and the pipe in the ground can be blown out.

I would worry about with people around that area a valve can be kicked or broken or accidentally opened. A union will keep the pipe solid during the season and allow winterization.

I have, I think, the same slide and a ball valve. I am certain that is going to break at some point and will most likely get out of the valve business there and go to a union. I never considered a union, I think that is a great idea. It is, however, convenient to have a valve there to avoid going to the equipment pad to turn the slide on.

Yes, you need something to drain the line if your pump is above the level of the slide.

Rather then a valve I would put a union on that can be unscrewed. Then the pipe up to the slide will drain and the pipe in the ground can be blown out.

I would worry about with people around that area a valve can be kicked or broken or accidentally opened. A union will keep the pipe solid during the season and allow winterization.

Great...thank you! That definitely makes more sense.

I just placed the order!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.