Jd21476

Jun 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have an inground pool with spa that was built last year that is salt water. It seems pretty self sufficient but I pay a pool service company $125 per month to come out once per week. I noticed recently that they are at my house for all of about 5 minutes. They turn on the pool, which is normally on a timer and starts on its own later in the day, skim the pool for leaves and usually head out. They don't test the chemicals, they don't treat the water, they don't clean out the skimmer. Then twice a year I pay them $90 to clean out my pool filter. I don't see the value in this. Is it worth it?

I have an inground pool with spa that was built last year that is salt water. It seems pretty self sufficient but I pay a pool service company $125 per month to come out once per week. I noticed recently that they are at my house for all of about 5 minutes. They turn on the pool, which is normally on a timer and starts on its own later in the day, skim the pool for leaves and usually head out. They don't test the chemicals, they don't treat the water, they don't clean out the skimmer. Then twice a year I pay them $90 to clean out my pool filter. I don't see the value in this. Is it worth it?
The value proposition is usually worth it for an average homeowner. But this assumes the team is doing what they've committed to do and that you aren't interested in doing the work yourself.

The former I can speak to, but the latter is a question only you can really answer.

As far as your service team, do they offer comprehensive or do they only do certain items that were listed on a service contract?

Chemical balance is paramount to the Service, and if nothing else, is what the pool guy should be managing. Are you witnessing this ignorance in real-time or is this an assumption based on time spent at your home? Have you tested your water and confirmed the balance is off? A technician won't add chemicals if they are not needed. Winter months generally result in milder swings and easier chemical balance.

We meet pool teams who neglect pools all the time and shouldn't be making promises they don't keep. But we also know that a well managed pool should result in quick visits. This is how a pool service profit margin is achieved. If the pool is managed poorly, the visits take longer and the efficiency is lost.

Prevention is fast and easy. Recovery is messy and hard.

If the pool team understands this, and your chemistry is good and your plaster in good shape, I would thank them for being so stellar.

If your chemistry is off or your pool is dirty and staining over time, find another service quote or commit to learn and do it yourself.

Good luck!

Reactions: Newdude
$125.00 per month is $29.00 per visit.

It costs more than that just to show up.

They are losing money at that price.

At that price, they can't afford to actually do anything.

What do they say they include in the service?

For a service to actually show up with qualified people and do a full complete good service, it would cost about $125.00 per visit just for the company to cover their costs and make a reasonable profit.

In any case, you are the only person who can decide if the service provided is worth the price they charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
If they aren’t testing the water and adjusting anything it seems like an awfully big waste of money since you’re just paying them $29 to skim leaves for five minutes

Reactions: JamesW
Do you have a SWG by chance ? That would greatly simplify maintaining things.

Please fill out your Signature. It helps us ALOT not having to ask questions about your questions. :)

What is an SWG?
Salt Water chlorine Generator. Aka chlorine generator or 'salt pool'. They require very little work as the unit adds all the chlorine for you and you just need to spot check to make sure what you told it to do is enough.

Reactions: bradgray
I have not seen then test my water.
Fair enough. Have you tested it to confirm it's balance? If you're doubting a pool service's value and considering doing this yourself, I would hope this is something you'd have attempted once or twice already.
I also went outside today after their 2 minute visit to see if they even emptied my strainer and they did not.
This should be a regular occurrence for most companies. But again, it may depend on what their service scope/contract stated. Do you have such a document? Also, a small amount of debris doesn't necessarily need to be removed so they may be doing triage as part of their time management. Not how we do it, but it's common practice.
What is an SWG?
Salt Water Generator. A device that converts a saline pool's water into usable chlorine. This reduces the labor of the service team by a fair margin when it comes to regular service visits. Background on your equipment will help us help you determine the value you are or aren't getting with your system. For all we know, you have an ORP system which largely regulates itself. The pool teams job is to then monitor the equipment and ensure it's accurate and operational. Different than the classic signs you may be looking for.

We can't really determine if your service is "worth it" for you. But answering some extra questions can help us form an opinion on what we think is being done. As James mentioned, $129 is a great price for once weekly. ESPECIALLY if they are including their chemical costs, which I'm assuming they are based on your claim they don't add chemicals (you would/should have a printout of dosages if they excluded those).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
$125.00 per month is $29.00 per visit.

It costs more than that just to show up.

They are losing money at that price.

At that price, they can't afford to actually do anything.

What do they say they include in the service?

For a service to actually show up with qualified people and do a full complete good service, it would cost about $125.00 per visit just for the company to cover their costs and make a reasonable profit.

In any case, you are the only person who can decide if the service provided is worth the price they charge.

If the next pool is less than 5 minutes away and they can average 4-6 pools/hour, that's $116-$174/hour, which is more feasible if the tech is making $20/hour. Yes, getting to the area and all the other business costs apply. In many areas here, and I'd imagine San Diego even more, a very high percentage of houses in even "average nice" neighborhoods have pools.

I really hope they're testing chemicals most of the time though (might be a quick test-strip dip that you missed?). Whether it's worth it only you (OP) can decide. It's not magic specialized work, but it is time and task that some people prefer to pay to delegate out. If you're willing to hose out the filter, skim occasionally, test the water, and add chemicals as needed then cancel them; if not then by definition you see value in it :)

If you do decide to take it on, it's not hard, and we can help and guide of course. Much better to start with the Pool School guides and recommendations here to keep it simple; you DON'T want to go in to a pool store and have them sell you all kinds of things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.