DIY when my liner fails?

Jul 24, 2017
Fayetteville/GA
Is pool liner replacement something I can do myself, with no experience?

I've had my sand filter and a couple pumps die this year and I've been shocked at the prices the pool company quoted to repair each of these items. I ended up doing the filter myself and am in the process of replacing my 2 pumps, but I know my liner is at least 9 years old so it's only a matter of time until she tears.

Am I pretty much stuck replacing my liner with another liner, or do I have other options that won't break the bank? Is this DIY in any case?

You can do the liner yourself and save quite a bit of money as you can imagine. I worked for a pool company and it was one guy who knew what he was doing and 2 or 3 of us grunts helping. So two competent adults can do it with the help of 1 or 2 who can lend a hand. If you have the spec sheet from install you're golden. If not you'd need to measure and I'm sure there are online sellers who would guide you but it could be a costly mistake. I have been told there is usually a serial # on the underside of the liner so you can reorder if the manu is still in business. The thing is then you have to wait for the liner to be made and delivered still.

I would expect some wrinkles diy whereas a pro I'd expect none. If you feel comfortable with changing the pumps/filter and cutting the plumbing you can do the liner. They sell special shop vac attachments that slide behind the liner so you can suck the air out as the water fills in. See it here: Air Supply Pool Liner Inlet Tube 4 Vac Hose | 440456 Just tape it in place and let it run. They put mine in w/ one shop vac but I've seen two used as well. The other thing to consider is the integrity of the floor. If it's damaged know how to patch the floor base while the liner is out.

I don't know of any options that would be less expensive than the liner. This is a video of a pro company doing it and the homeowner recorded the whole thing. A good video to see how it's done. Granted these 2 guys have probably done this 500+ times but there are not magic tricks involved. Pool Liner Replacement: How they do it. - YouTube

What good is serial # if most manufacturers won't sell to home owner ?

At the very least he won't have to pay for custom measuring if
he ends up going through a pool co.

I had to have that done and it added quite a bit to the cost.

Though it can be done, I personally would not install my own liner
unless it was an above ground.

If you have the original serial number or the plans for your pool I would install yourself. Measuring it yourself could be tricky depending on the shape. The actual liner drop is not that difficult. You will need a helper or 2 and a large vacuum or 2. I personally would invest a few bucks and get cyclone blower. It will come in handy if you winterize your pool. The internet is full of videos showing how to replace the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.