DIY pool. Zero experience!

Jacy783

Aug 13, 2023
Arkansas
Good evening. I just stumbled onto this forum. I started my pool build 3 weeks ago tomorrow. 16x32 Inground liner pool. Sun ledge. Salt system Hayward everything. Omni hub automation. Heater, deck jets etc.
currently waiting on the concrete collar to be poured. Concrete work is the only thing I am subbing out. (Except for electrical work)

I have never built a swimming pool before so I might have a few questions 😂

Cheers 🍻

Welcome 🤗
Do you know about how many gallons that will be?
You ideally want to make sure your cell is rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume.
You can post up all your equipment sizes & details & we can help you tweak anything that may need to be changed while you still can.

My pool will be 14,300 gallons according to the drawing from Latham. I believe the C3030 is for up to 25K gallon pools...i also purchased a cyclone centrifugal filter to filter out debris before getting to filter

3 – Hayward Colorlogic 320 100ft lights / LACUS11100

1 - Hayward C3030 Cartridge filter / C3030

1 – Hayward Pump VS 950 230V 2.75HP / SP32950VSP

1 – Hayward Heater 250BTU / H250FDN

1 – Hayward 25K GAL CELL / AQRS325

1 – Hayward Omni Hub Controller

After reading some other builds and information i'm debating on NOT installing main drains.....is there anybody that did not install main drains and regretted the decision? just curious on some Pros & Cons...

i'll get my information updated for my account asap with my information.

Reactions: Mdragger88
IMO, pool's do just fine without drains. There could be arguments that they are convenient for brushing fine dust/dirt towards, or perhaps circulating cooler water from the deep end across the pool to help with water temp (maybe), but that's about it. Otherwise, there is always the potential for a break or additional maintenance (hydrostatic valve) in which case they become useless. Pool cleaners have come so far nowadays that I would stick with a skimmer (or two) and perhaps a wall vacuum port unless you were going with a robot. Just my 2-cents. :)

IMO, pool's do just fine without drains. There could be arguments that they are convenient for brushing fine dust/dirt towards, or perhaps circulating cooler water from the deep end across the pool to help with water temp (maybe), but that's about it. Otherwise, there is always the potential for a break or additional maintenance (hydrostatic valve) in which case they become useless. Pool cleaners have come so far nowadays that I would stick with a skimmer (or two) and perhaps a wall vacuum port unless you were going with a robot. Just my 2-cents. :)
I'm going with 2 wide mouth skimmer and 4 returns and 2 main drains. If i delete the main drains i might add another return or two just to be safe. This is a non diving pool so the deep end will only be 6' deep.

Thanks for the info!

That cell is just appropriate for your pool volume,
Depending upon how long your season is (not sure where in Arkansas you are) but it may behoove you to step up to the t15 (40k gal cell).
Here in North Ms near memphis, my season is 7 months long.
The larger the cell the less you have to run it & the longer it’s 8-10k hours @100% rated lifespan will last in people years. It’s usually worth the cost to upgrade (ymmv) & gives you more wiggle room.
Example:
With that 25k gal cell if you run 24/7 you’ll need to set it on 35-50% for the majority of the season to create the average 2-4ppm fc most pools consume each day possibly higher in the peak of summer.
With the larger t15 it would be more like 25%- 30% or so.

You can use PoolMath effects of adding to see the different effects based on your cell choice, run times & % selections.

i got Smokin deals on my Hayward products. I doubt I can exchange them and upgrade without it being a hassle. With the discounts they gave me I’m team Hayward till death.

What type of silicone do I use for main drain threads etc? Anybody have a product they recommend over everything else?

i got Smokin deals on my Hayward products. I doubt I can exchange them and upgrade without it being a hassle. With the discounts they gave me I’m team Hayward till death.
Lol - I’m all about those deals! When it comes time to replace this cell upsizing may be worth considering. Hopefully you’ll have a long while to ponder it!
What type of silicone do I use for main drain threads etc? Anybody have a product they recommend over everything else?

I just recently finish building my own pool myself 🙂. I have 2 drains, and I am glad/ lucky that I got them……. With the heat wave here in texas, evaporation is a big problem for me (I don’t have an auto filler)…. Yesterday when I got home I heard the pump struggling with air in the line…. The water had dropped below the line of my skimmer and it was pulling air in……. I simply closed out the skimmer line, and left the pump pulling from the drains only… voilà, problem solved 🙂 today I had the chance to add some water in the pool and was able to open the skimmer line……… I am sure glad that I have the drains!!!!!! Just my 2 cents…..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just recently finish building my own pool myself 🙂. I have 2 drains, and I am glad/ lucky that I got them……. With the heat wave here in texas, evaporation is a big problem for me (I don’t have an auto filler)…. Yesterday when I got home I heard the pump struggling with air in the line…. The water had dropped below the line of my skimmer and it was pulling air in……. I simply closed out the skimmer line, and left the pump pulling from the drains only… voilà, problem solved 🙂 today I had the chance to add some water in the pool and was able to open the skimmer line……… I am sure glad that I have the drains!!!!!! Just my 2 cents…..
After looking at the invoice and seeing how the 2 pack of main drains cost me $81 I’m going to install them. I see a very good case for both sides of the main drain debate. My biggest concern is the cooler water staying in the bottom and warmer water on top not being circulated as much.

I’ll post some progress pics and maybe s few videos soon

After looking at the invoice and seeing how the 2 pack of main drains cost me $81 I’m going to install them. I see a very good case for both sides of the main drain debate. My biggest concern is the cooler water staying in the bottom and warmer water on top not being circulated as much.

I’ll post some progress pics and maybe s few videos soon
Jacy,
I used to be strictly team no main drains mainly because I am also team “simpool” (a term coined by @Newdude )
But as I imagine my dream pool I can see now there are some obvious benefits to having drains. One being that you can just quickly brush small debris into them with out having to vac incase yours is broken or whatever, the ability to turn off your skimmers as Caro pointed out & also the added circulation benefits that you pointed out. For $81 it seems like a pretty good roi. Consider me converted lol 😆

Reactions: Caro325 and Newdude
It's also real nice in the places with alot of rain to be able to drain off a few inches in minutes. No need to go gather up a submersible and extension cord.

Ok so I’m pressure testing my system and the only leak I have is where my main drains thread on and I used the poly stick stuff recommended on here? What gives?
Bad joint, it happens. Never been a fan of the sticks only. What do the instructions for the drains recommend. Sometimes they say not use it on their plastic. I prefer Teflon tape and a thin coating of silicone sealant. Been doing it that way for 30+ years with no issues.

Finished my pool floor. What can I use to sand down the vermiculite? I assume using a soft pad but which grit? Any advice would be great.

Also- can I put foam padding in the slope and deep end? Or only flat surfaces? Only 6’ deep end

I also don’t understand how some people install the liners/water before pouring decking? Does it depend on the coping you go with?
I installed the liner and filled the pool before they did the deck..... I think the as long as you backfill as you are filling with water it is ok....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.