DIY Liner install 16x32' pool

Diver said:
DIYLiner, where in southern MA are you? i'm in Mansfiled, so I'm wondering if you're somewhere in my area...

I'm North-East of you by maybe 45 minutes - Rockland

Rain delay right now....busy work days or I'd be working on it a bit each day after work
3 day weekend coming up so hoping to get a lot done, be nice to be able to order the liner

I thought I would share a fact about my pool that I just remembered
I was new to owning a pool back in Nov 2003 when we bought the house, opened in May 2004
It was a mess & I went thru a lot of problems getting leaves out & shocking the pool
A co-worker finally told me to dump about 4g of shock in.....which helped a lot
I had a Hayward DE filter that had about 16 bolts to get the cover off...lousy design a royal PIA
Always seemed to clog up (pool a mess- I was clueless), brought the inner filter to the pool place & they said it was OK
Fed up I bought a new filter pump of Ebay for less then $500...oversized the filter & pump (solar heat to come)
A real Red neck installation the 1st year as I knew I was expanding the cabana & wanted to wait until I had more room
Here is a pic from 2005 when I started to add on to the pool cabana
Notice the waste pipe going around the side of the cabana (2nd pipe added when needed to go further), and the suction pipe going across the cement & down into the pool
Between the 2 filter & pump setups the pool was REAL clean :whoot:
I back flushed both systems as needed without even thinking about it

To the right of the pool ladder (by patio door) is the extent of the original patio block
From there to about 16' to the left they had fake turf that was past its best years of life, weeds growing thru it & on it

CabanaAddition1c.jpg

Now jump forward to closing the pool for the 1st time at the end of 2004, I'd also been very busy adding a 3 season porch to the house & dormering the 2nd floor
So the summer had passed quickly & not a lot more thought to the pool...until I had to close it
I dutifully went & bought a winter cover & all the chemicals etc that I thought I needed
Back flushed the old filter & was using that to lower the pool level........
When a thought occurred to me...WHERE the heck is the water GOING ?
I had always had short back flushes ....stayed inside the cabana....I venture outside....& hear the water
I go around behind the pool cabana...following the sound of the water......towards the side of the yard...towards the STREAM on the side
And there...sticking out 2' from the banking over the stream....is the back flush pipe....pumping water right into the stream :shock:
I ran back inside & shut the pump off...pool supposedly is around 30 years old...hard to believe its been this way that long
Wish I had taken a picture of that......

Spring of 2005 I rent a small backhoe & dig a new route for the back flush along the back of the cabana & towards the back of my property
That only puts the water maybe 40' away from the stream, hopefully enough
With the new filter I end up not having to back flush as much, and many times I just open up the case (1 nut) & clean the filter
Spring of 2008 I clear out the back corner & end up putting in a veggie garden, with the stream nearby & high water table my tomatoes grow 6-8' tall....and keep growing
That basically put an end to my back washing.......I now just take the filter apart
Its a bit of a PIA compared to a back flush, but I know I'm not dumping chlorinated water near a stream now

Pool Liner replacement postponed until Spring
I was hoping to get this in & filled with water before Fall, but that's not going to happen
I don't want to rush this so I'm going to be taking more time to get the walls in better shape

I have too many other projects going on that I need to finish before cold weather:
Just dug out a new garden (2x50') & extended an existing garden 8x10' - both as a result of our road being repaved
Then I had to move the mailbox closer to the road on the edge of the new garden
And "frame out" where they will be putting in new black top from the new road to my walkway
So that basically killed my 3 day weekend that I was hoping to get the pool walls finished

My son has not used his sandbox all summer...getting too old
So I'm taking the sand from that & adding it to the pool bottom before I pour the concrete floor
I've already dumped in 3.5 bags of concrete - older -used it as rubble to fill in some areas

I also have an indoor task - taking down one wall in the Master bedroom
Its the last big wall in the house that does not have new insulation, wife complains the bedroom is cold
I'll be working on that the next few weeks, I need the wall back up before the weather turns cold
And I need to install a "new" woodstove...which means ripping the fireplace hearth apart...and some tile work

Oh well....next year the pool will be back
Until then I'll be using the hot tub...which needs a new FLO switch....sigh.....just never ends
I did however get the new power regulator installed in my Ford F150, so my driver side window works again !! :party:

Wife wanted to know what the 6 jugs of bleach were doing by the back door
I told her they were for the pool.......she just sorta looked at me funny :hammer:

*EDIT* almost forgot...I have 1500 fall bulbs coming in early October to plant in the new gardens :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.