DIY L Shape - Getting ready for action

May 29, 2018
Carlisle, PA
Thanks for the feed back on my last post regarding our pool options. We ended up ordering from Poolwarehouse and delivery should be in the next 2 weeks. I took the advice given and added returns in the steps and shallow end, changed to a VS pump.
We are planning to break ground July 3rd if there are no holdups. Township said our paperwork should be done by then. We've talked to two excavators and the price came in at 3k-5k for just the dig, no back fill or dirt removal. So, it looks like we are renting equipment from BestLine and borrowing a skid loader to do the dig ourselves. Any recommendations on what digger works best for a pool? BestLine has a Bobcat mini excavators and we're are looking at something like a Bobcat 331e for $750ish per week. I'm figuring the bobcat can sit in the pool and pass the dirt out to the skid loader. I'm asking neighbors who wants fill cause we are going to have lots! We've used backhoes for other types of digging but I'm not sure how those skills are going to transfer over to this project :rolleyes:...We have three boys and between 5 of us , I figure if the Bobcat gets close, shovels and wheelbarrels can fine-tune it.

We have about a 2 foot grade across 24ft width deal with and are planning on a raised bed with a french drain between the bed and pool decking. Are we asking for water problems with this setup? I can't figure a way around this setup unless we walk up steps to the pool deck! When the fun starts I'll post pictures and try to figure out how to add the specs in my sig!

I like your thinking about getting close then finishing with sweat work. I have someone that just did something like this for a fiberglass pool. I will up in a call to him to step in and give you some input.

Kim:kim:

If you have never operated a backhoe/trackhoe I would highly recommend spending the money to have somebody dig and haul off the dirt for you. When you watch the videos on youtube they all make it look very easy. I tried to dig my pool my self and ended up hiring a pro to come and finish.

1. He was really good and working the equipment to get me to grade. It is very important that you don't over dig your pool.

2. In your mind it doesn't seem like a lot of dirt, but it is. In my situation I was lucky a business was accepting free fill dirt for a pad right down from my house.

3. Not all backhoe operators are the same, but good ones will have very good input on slope and helping you set your pool height.

I ordered my kit from pool warehouse and was very pleased with them. Just inventory everything when it arrives. Make the driver wait and start the claim process right away. My pool came in 2 shipments. 1 shipment was all of my panels and the 2nd was a huge box that had everything else in it. I stored all of on my back porch.

good luck! The DIY pool builds are my favorite on this site! I wish the mods would add section just for DIY Above/ingroud builds ;)

We added a 22x30 addition to our house and dug the full size basement ourselves...we had mountains of dirt scattered around our yard! I have no illusions about the amount of dirt coming out of that hole! :p Our township asked if they could have it for a park they were leveling and it was a happy day when those dump trucks rolled into the yard. We do know someone who needs lots of fill too bad he is 5 miles away. But hey, we have two entire weeks to make up a final decision ;)

So it looks like you have no shortage of space for stockpiling.

I would dig the pool and stockpile the spoils. Us the excavator to pile it high if you need too. No real need to get the skidsteer and excavator at the same time.
Then figure out how you are going to dispose of soil. Either by dump truck or by hiring 20 yard bins. I'm my area a 20 yard bin costs $450-500. (canadian)
They drop off the bins and you fill them with the skid steer. If the driver is good, he will actually let you put 20 yards in. dont pile in bin higher than the sides. That could get him a ticket. I used 5 bins for my little pool.

As mentioned above, it's possible you could screw this up and end up paying more to have a pro finish. Its happened to me albeit rarely, but that's how you learn.

Given the amount of space you have I would suggest a larger excavator. It costs more per day but you wont need it as long.

8 ton would be nice with a grading bucket.

I dug my own pool (build hasn't completely started) and had never used a backhoe or excavator until it showed up but I think my computer gaming skills helped me pick it up fast. You can change the excavator controls to operate like a backhoe ISO vs SAE which could help. I recommend getting a backhoe and skidsteer to help move the dirt far enough away from the dig and avoid handling the dirt more then you need to. Just make sure you rent/ use a grade stick and laser level. Your soil looks soft and should dig easy and even be fun for the family.

I dug my own pool (build hasn't completely started) and had never used a backhoe or excavator until it showed up but I think my computer gaming skills helped me pick it up fast. You can change the excavator controls to operate like a backhoe ISO vs SAE which could help. I recommend getting a backhoe and skidsteer to help move the dirt far enough away from the dig and avoid handling the dirt more then you need to. Just make sure you rent/ use a grade stick and laser level. Your soil looks soft and should dig easy and even be fun for the family.
Thanks for the encouragement! If gaming skills help then I think my 15 year old is going to be in charge of the excavator! I was going to buy a rotating laser level but my father (amazing man that he is) had three of them with a grade stick and even a transit that we used last night to get our final stake out. If only the township would give us the final go ahead!
Deliveries started coming via UPS today...Colorlogic lights, transformer and lots of PVC connectors. Coworkers think we're crazy...I just tell them it is Legos for grownups :D

So quick question...we bought a Hayward Junction box/transformer model LTBUY11300. I thought we could run both lights directly to but the manual shows only one light can be directly connected so it seems we would need a separate junction box running from it and have the two lights connected to the junction box. Seem right? Guess I could have gone with a shorter cord than that 100' foot Colorlogic I bought....live and learn.

If the transformer has only one concentric knock out in the 12volt side of the barrier. Then yes
the easiest way is like you said.

Bring both lights to a LJBUY00PP1 and single conduit to the LTBUY11300. The junction box can be right beside the LTBUY11300. Just
make sure you install it(LJBUY00PP1) greater than 4" above pool deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The dig has started and it's been a little stressful but overall not too bad. We hit rock where we were planning the ramp for the euipment to get in and out. Wasted about two hours before we dug out another place for the ramp. Hoping that was an old backfill spot because we haven't hit rock anyplace else. Up til now we were working with a skid steer and for the hopper we rented a mini excavator for a week. That showed up this morning. We ended up opting for the self dig because quotes we're coming in between 3k and 5k without dirt removal. Hubby wanted stone for his fire pit and now he has plenty! I finally found direct burial mechanical lugs for bonding the coping. I plan on attaching them with ss screws and SS washer between the aluminum and lug.
Overall this diy is moving along. The pool from poolwarehouse has not even shipped yet so we are going to have a gaping hole for awhile. I was hoping for delivery last week but they can't give me a target date. :( . I have had about three moments of questioning our sanity on this project! I'lI upload a picture of our dig progress ahortly

you are gonna get shorted on something for sure from poolwarehouse, and they give you 30 days to call and ask for it or you will fight for it. go thru everything when you have a moment, and check the panels well they usually come bent in the corners from the trucking company throwing pallets around. Its a project im halfway thru a self build doing everything myself soup to nuts. just takes time and alot of it

you are gonna get shorted on something for sure from poolwarehouse, and they give you 30 days to call and ask for it or you will fight for it. go thru everything when you have a moment, and check the panels well they usually come bent in the corners from the trucking company throwing pallets around. Its a project im halfway thru a self build doing everything myself soup to nuts. just takes time and alot of it

If the panels are a little bent is it ok? How timely was your order delivery? If you have a thread going for yours I'd live to check it out.

I see you started your dig with out your panels. My concern would be cave ins and accurately digging your deep end. I know it can be done with laying it out, but when I had mine dug I assembled the panels after my main shelf was dug. He used the panel as reference to get my hopper walls within spec. Saved me from a lot of hand work.

Jimmy is right. We both had Pool warehouse kits and inventory everything when you receive it. If you push them hard enough they will replace the panels. However, most of the time you can fix it with a piece of scrap wood and a hammer. I had very minor damage on a couple of my panels.

I friend came to help us dig last night and he is an expert at these machines because of his job. What a difference in how fast it was moving!!! We are definitely more timid on how far we push them and the inclines we're willing to go up/down. I am worried about getting the deep end dig right but hadn't considered having the panels in while doing the dig because I was worried about bumping them. I know with the L shape it's going to be easy to be off a little bit either direction. If we have to do a ton of hand-digging we may decide to sub out the concrete/bottom. We bought two HUGE tarps to cover the hole during rains and we may have to keep them on for a couple weeks.
My only quote for the bottom came in at roughly 2500-3000, does that seem high for concrete/sand with no vermiculite?

What height panels did you opt for? We did the 42" which I am expecting to give us a 36-38"" shallow end. I'm 5' but for tall people I know it may feel like they are wading.

So, about the concrete pad around the pool. We can't decide to go with a minimum amount, about 3', or go bigger. My thought process is, if we ever have to go back under to do pipe work we may be able to do it with 3'. We could paver the rest but I do think it will be more expensive. I'm also thinking pavers will be a little more forgiving of our lack of expertise in everything involving digging and filling.

If you only go 3' with the coping/decking then you will almost have to do pavers out from that. Think about trying to put chair on that....now think about trying to walk around it. A lounger will not fit at all. Pavers will be easier to undo down the road and can be very pretty as well!

Kim:kim:

Get the plumbing and electrical done right from the get go. Backfill with proper material. Then you don't have to worry about what may happen to pipes. Concrete all the way imo. better for drainage than concrete + pavers and you dont have to worry about getting sand in the pool from pavers. This will happen even if you use the polywhatever sand.

so maybe $1000 in material. Rental of Mixer $200 or less for the day

1500 for labor - If it was me I would pay. Unless you have a few friends or family of free labor.

I would make it clear that there are no extras and hand over the finshed pool floor plans to be implemented.

Just my opinion

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.