Diving envelope advice

Mattlar0806

Jul 6, 2023
Northeast
Hi guys,

So my pool is finally being dug right now. I was originally given the attached photo which safely fits a level 1 diving envelope next to my slide. Pool was expanded to 22 ft wide to do this.

Now after much scrutiny over the slope profile - I observed this wasted 1 ft of flat deep end for the drains. It has to be there.

The diving envelop states you must be 7.5 feet deep at 8.5ft from water line of deep end. In their design they add this flat 1 foot after reaching this depth and distance. To which I highlighted this is a waste of 1 ft. The 7.5 depth should be reached at 7.5ft off the wall and then have your 1ft flat so that you are still 7.5 deep at 8.5ft off the wall. To me this does not “waste” the 1 ft and allows me to put back into the shallow end.

They were very hesitant to do this and said it would be less safe and we left undecided…

diving board is only 6ft and is going to have rock wall behind it so no one can get any bit of a running start. Have to enter DB from the side…

Why push back and say less safe if we are still honoring the diving envelop? Should I put my foot down and try more firmly for this extra foot?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8938.png
    IMG_8938.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8936.png
    IMG_8936.png
    501.9 KB · Views: 17
Your argument makes sense per the code IMO. But I'd want the deep end space personally. I went with a short shallow end in a 20x40 and have to actively try to not hit the slope when diving. For kids smaller than adults, it's probably a non issue.

Reactions: Mattlar0806
So the discussion is whether you are 7.5 ft depth from 7.5 to 8.5ft from the deep end side. or at 7.5 ft depth from 8.5. To 9.5 ft from the deep end side. The spec only calls for 7.5ft depth at 8.5ft from the deep end side. Both designs meets the requirement and affects only if the 7.5 ft depth is more to the deep end or to the shallow end. I see the view that it removes 1 ft from the shallow end because of extending the start of the slope upwards.

On a previously owned pool with a diving board, I wished that the slope was pushed farther away so I would go with the 7.5ft depth from 8.5 to 9.5 ft. That is not what you want but practical use is my guidance.

As a compromise, can the drain be put at the 8.5 ft distance such that it is only 6 inches either way? Does the height of the drain require the depth to be 1/2” to 3/4” deeper To meet the requirement of 7.5ft to top of drain?

Your argument makes sense per the code IMO. But I'd want the deep end space personally. I went with a short shallow end in a 20x40 and have to actively try to not hit the slope when diving. For kids smaller than adults, it's probably a non issue.
With the extra foot wastes right now. I’ll have about 12.6 feet of shallow end pitching from 3.3 - 3.9 ft. But it will be 12.6 x 22ft wide - so it’s not gonna be small just a bit narrow.

I guess I should just drop it and take the extra safety?

So the discussion is whether you are 7.5 ft depth from 7.5 to 8.5ft from the deep end side. or at 7.5 ft depth from 8.5. To 9.5 ft from the deep end side. The spec only calls for 7.5ft depth at 8.5ft from the deep end side. Both designs meets the requirement and affects only if the 7.5 ft depth is more to the deep end or to the shallow end. I see the view that it removes 1 ft from the shallow end because of extending the start of the slope upwards.

On a previously owned pool with a diving board, I wished that the slope was pushed farther away so I would go with the 7.5ft depth from 8.5 to 9.5 ft. That is not what you want but practical use is my guidance.

As a compromise, can the drain be put at the 8.5 ft distance such that it is only 6 inches either way? Does the height of the drain require the depth to be 1/2” to 3/4” deeper To meet the requirement of 7.5ft to top of drain?
Splitting the difference is what we kind of agreed on but it there still a bit of reluctance to agree to that. So it’s good advice you have. These things are not exactly down to the mm either so we can all agreed to something and be off by a few inches making it entirely moot :).

Appreciate the quick responses by everyone!

But it will be 12.6 x 22ft wide - so it’s not gonna be small just a bit narrow.
Yeah. I have 12x20 and it's the size of some pools. It's small in regards to extended shallow ends that are all the rage these days, but yours is still 275 sq ft any way you slice it.

Reactions: Mattlar0806

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.