Distance between sand filter and pump

Jun 22, 2013
Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is there a maximum distance a pump can be from a sand filter, or would some water flow issues arise? I’d like to move my pump about 15-20 ft away from my sand filter. I’ve searched online and can’t find an answer to the allowable distance. Any thoughts?

Not sure about the flow part but It’s kind of impractical to have them far apart for maintenance purposes- backwashing etc.
is there some particular reason why you want them in two separate places?

You’ve got a good point and I considered that. The distance is closer to 15 feet, and as you said doing so may not be the most practical. I am putting in a heat pump and due to the location that I am running the electrical, I was thinking about installing the pump by the heat pump and putting in a remote switch by the sand filter if the setup became impractical. I’d prefer to move everything by the new heat pump, but the sand filter is too large due to space limitations.

perhaps @ajw22 can fully answer your question about the distance.
Until he chimes in can you tell us the exact equipment we’re discussing & what type of pool this is (above or inground)?

No, a distance of 20 feet ir less will work fine. Use 2” pipe.

Note, that if you have automation the wires attached to temperature sensors, actuators, chlorinators, and other equipment may cause issues if you have equipment spread far from a control panel.

It is helpful to know all the pool equipment you have in answering a question that may have related problems with other equipment.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This is a small 5000 gallon above ground pool set into a hillside, so the pad for the pump and sand filter sit at the same level as bottom of the pool. Sand filter is 18” and pump is 1 HP (Hayward S180T sand filter and Hayward 1HP power-flow matrix).

I am getting ready to replumb the pool and thought I’d go with separate 2” PVC for the suction lines (although it’d probably be easier and OK to just go with a single 2” and tee off to each return?).

Per the articles I’ve read (pics of sections attached), the receptacle for the pump needs to be at least 6 feet away, and the disconnect at least 5 feet away from the water’s edge.

The simplest option would be to have the pump and sand filter sitting 2-3 ft from the base of the pool where the pool sits entirely above the hillside. In this scenario, the distance from the pump on/off switch would be 7-8 feet from the water’s edge—measured approximately 5ft up and diagonally to go over a physical barrier and onto the pool decking, and then another 2.5 feet or so across and down to reach the water. I can place the receptacle and disconnect in the same location as the pump and filter (approx 3 feet from pool wall/barrier) which would then consist of the same 7-8 ft of distance to reach the actual water’s edge. In this scenario the pump and filter would be enclosed in wood with a hinged lid, so the actual distance of travel around barriers would be even further.

While I think the above would satisfy the sections of code attached, I also like the idea of not having any electrical near the base of the pool, and locating the pump by the heat pump I’m installing. If the pump were placed by the heat pump, the distance would actually be 12 ft horizontally from the sand filter, and about 8 feet from the pool wall.

I hope this makes sense. Perhaps I’m overthinking things and should just leave the pump at the base of the pool?

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpeg
    IMG_0709.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1
Leave the pump by the filter.

Install a heater bypass by the pump/filter where the pipes go to/from the HP. So you can take the restriction of the HP out of the system when not in use.

Pictures or a diagram may help insure we understand the word description you gave.

Where are you located? Please enter it in your Profile so it displays
<<<—- here

We’ve had constant rain, so not a great pic. The arrow points to where the heat pump will go —on a platform in the corner on the opposite side of the partition.
IMG_0710.jpeg

Thanks for the link. I had planned on a 3-port Jandy valve a foot or so off the sand pump, and one port will lead to the heat pump, and the other port to the main return jet. I was thinking I’d add a dedicated return jet for the heat pump.

As far as returns, are Jandy valves recommended for both return lines?

In terms of electrical, would you recommend installing the receptacle for the pump 6 feet from the pool wall, or am I ok putting the receptacle in the same location as the pump and filter at about 3 ft from the pool wall? Based on the code, I think I’m ok at the 3ft distance due to the physical barrier and actual distance measured to the water’s edge.

Thanks for the help. I had only intended for one question to be addressed, but this has been helpful in other ways too.

Will update my profile now.

In case it helps, if the pump were not placed by the heat pump, it would sit about 3ft from the base of the pool at the far end of the pool..the end of the pool in front of the small redbud tree.

So i am understanding correctly, in the new location, the elevation of the pump & filter will be below the water level of the pool correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, if the pump were moved by the heat pump, it would be below the water level either at the pool floor level, or maybe just slightly above floor level (I could make either happen). The sand filter would stay at the foot of the pool and there would be approx a 12ft horizontal run from the pump to the base of the sand filter.

If the pump and filter both go at the foot of the pool, they’d both sit at floor level and be about 3ft from the wall of the pool.

Yes, if the pump were moved by the heat pump, it would be below the water level either at the pool floor level, or maybe just slightly above floor level (I could make either happen). The sand filter would stay at the foot of the pool and there would be approx a 12ft horizontal run from the pump to the base of the sand filter.

If the pump and filter both go at the foot of the pool, they’d both sit at floor level and be about 3ft from the wall of the pool.

What model pump are we discussing?

Is it an Above Ground Pump or an In ground pump?

Sand filter is 18” and pump is 1 HP (Hayward S180T sand filter and Hayward 1HP power-flow matrix). Above ground pump.

As far as unions and jandy valves, no particular reason. Just wondered if easy removal was advised.

Sand filter is 18” and pump is 1 HP (Hayward S180T sand filter and Hayward 1HP power-flow matrix). Above ground pump.

Above ground pumps like the power-flow matrix are not self priming and must be below the waterline for water to naturally flow into the suction line and pump.

As far as unions and jandy valves, no particular reason. Just wondered if easy removal was advised.

The body of Jandy valves last a long time. About the only reason they need to be replaced is if you overtighten the screws and crack the screw holes. The rest of the valve can be replaced as necessary.

Thanks for the information about the Jandy valves.

in posts 8 and 11 I described the situation with the layout of the pool, heat pump, and filter/pump. All would sit below water level since they are at the low of of a hill side.