Disinfection By-Products using Chlorine or Bromine---The last part is most important.

Ahhsomeguy

In The Industry
Jul 26, 2016
Vero Beach, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This article was written by Marcelle Dibrell @ Service Industry News

Chlorine, bromine & disinfection byproducts
Although the health benefits of swimming are well documented, there are also some diseases — such as bladder cancer and asthma — that have been linked to disinfection byproducts in treated recreational water.
It is probably a good idea to define what we mean by disinfection byproduct. Generally, these are partially oxidized materials that are introduced into the water by swimmers as well as leaves and other debris.
These partially oxidized materials, such as chlorinated or brominated sweat, (skin cells, body oils, sunscreens, fecal matter, etc.) become part of the makeup of the water.
Some of these are volatile, evaporating to some extent, and depending on the air circulation may accumulate at the water/air interface.
Considering how people generally soak in a spa, faces low and close to the water surface, an obvious question to ask is, what are we breathing?
One might also ask if there is any difference in the formation of certain types of disinfection by-products as a function of the unique conditions presented by a spa as compared to a swimming pool.
The most obvious difference between the disinfection chemistry of a spa versus a swimming pool is the effect of temperature. Temperature affects disinfection chemistry in three important ways.
First, hot water increases the release of human output (or sweat). Elevated temperatures raise the rate of perspiration, which leads to an increase in the raw material that will ultimately convert into disinfection by-products.
Second, water temperature also changes the reaction rates of disinfection by-product formation. In general, these types of reactions increase at higher temperatures.
Finally, hot water also affects the volatilization rates of the disinfection by-products. In other words, the heated water leads to higher evaporation of some by-products into the air.
These effects are interrelated and were discussed in a 2017 review that appeared in the Journal of Environmental Sciences in an article entitled “Occurrence and formation of disinfection by-products in the swimming pool environment: a critical review.”
Hot water promotes the release of bather-load-derived precursors such as chemicals found in sweat, which increases with higher water temperature. The increased concentration of these precursors, combined with a generally higher usage of disinfectants, leads to an increase in disinfection by-product formation.
Many disinfection by-products have been shown to have adverse impacts on health. Several studies have found a correlation between swimming pool attendance and health issues, particularly asthma. Many studies have linked asthma to volatile disinfection by-products such as chloramines and especially trichloramine. This is further corroborated by increased negative health effects for those who frequent indoor swimming pools as compared to those outdoor. Similarly, competitive and regular swimmers have been reported to experience higher cases of asthma and other respiratory issues compared to participants in other professional sports.
Further evidence of the negative health effects of disinfection byproducts comes from a survey of lifeguards working at indoor pools, where 55% suffered from respiratory and other health issues.
Other studies have linked trihalomethane swimming exposure to bladder cancer. Collectively, these studies have associated an increased risk for bladder cancer due to dermal and inhalation exposure of certain kinds of disinfection by-products in disinfected water.
To sum it up, disinfection byproducts are not good for human health, and there are more of them in a hot tub than in a swimming pool.
Then, there is also the choice of sanitizer to consider. For spas and hot tubs, many operators prefer bromine over chlorine.
Therefore, it seems relevant to consider whether there is any difference in the harmful effects of the disinfection by-products produced by either sanitizer.

This topic was explored in a 2022 journal publication entitled “ Disinfection byproducts in chlorinated or brominated swimming pools and spas: Role of brominated DBPs and association with mutagenicity.”

Researchers found that brominated disinfection by-products were significantly associated with the increased mutagenicity of treated water. Specifically, brominated pools and spas are almost twice as mutagenic as chlorinated ones. Translation: Bromine disinfection by-products are much worse than chlorine disinfection by-products.

They also found that the concentration of bromine disinfection by-products is a lot higher than chlorine disinfection by-products. Translation: Bromine-treated water produces a lot more brominated bad stuff than chlorine-treated water produces chlorinated bad stuff.

They found that increased human outputs (sweat) associated with increased use of pools and spas raises both the concentration and mutagenicity of the water. Translation: The more you use the water, the more bad stuff will form, and the worse it will be.

Finally, higher temperatures and less water exchange result in a lot more disinfection by-products, regardless of whether chlorine or bromine is used. That means that heated spas produce more disinfection by-products than a cool pool.

Reading a study like this, it seems obvious which sanitizer is best for a spa.

CHLORINE from page 18 to 19

ajax-request.php

For a high use indoor pool, you cannot provide adequate water and indoor air quality with just chlorine or bromine.

I don’t like bromine and I would not use it for any pool or spa.

For a high use pool or spa, you need to use a professional commercial system that uses UV, ozone or other supplemental treatment in addition to maintaining a chlorine residual.

if you think chlorine/bromine is bad, you sure don't want to be breathing high amounts of ozone!
A proper professional commercial ozone treatment uses a contact tank and a degas process so that no ozone goes back to the pool.

The cheap systems just pump ozone into the lines and this is not a professional design.

Reactions: Mdragger88
A while ago, Chem Geek did a good analysis of chloramine production:

The general trend in toxicity and carcinogenicity is that halogenated organic compounds get more dangerous as you descend the halogen group in the periodic table. So a chlorinated organic compound is (somewhat) less dangerous than the same brominated compound which is less dangerous than the same iodated compound. Almost all halogenated organics are dangerous in some way or another so this is why care must be taken in using disinfectants.

While I’m no fan of bromine, the benefits of its disinfection properties outweighs its risk of use. Bromine compounds are simply not absorbed through the skin at any appreciable rate and so they are safe to use. Inhalation, insufflation, and/or ingestion are definitely routes of exposure, but they can be limited with good bathing practice. Sadly, try as they might, professional swimmers tend to ingest a lot of the water that they swim in simply by nature of the sport. For those of us that use pools recreationally in our homes, it’s really not a huge concern and I doubt there’s any appreciable increase in health risks.

The simple adage I teach my kids applies - don’t drink the pool water!

The simple adage I teach my kids applies - don’t drink the pool water!

What about the CC levels in chlorinated drinking water often being higher than in properly maintained TFP pools? Wouldn't the consequence be "don't drink tap water!"?

Reactions: Newdude
What about the CC levels in chlorinated drinking water often being higher than in properly maintained TFP pools? Wouldn't the consequence be "don't drink tap water!"?

It’s why, since my childhood, I could never drink municipal water. We grew up on well water and I drank straight from the tap all my young life. Heck, I even drank from the nasty garden hose. But after I left the house my parents had a city water line brought in (the local aquifer was deemed “contaminated” by a local fuel storage depot … 22 years of drinking that water never did me any harm … *twitch* *twitch* ). I could never drink their tap water after that. After that point I always drank water either from a bottle or through a conditioner like a Britta filter. I finally installed an RO tap at my kitchen sink and it’s the only water in the house, aside from bottled, that I can drink. Chlorination and mineral hardness make water unpalatable to me.

Reactions: mgtfp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most of my childhood summer memories are at the local pool, or the watering trough in our back yard. My first job was lifeguard. I spent high-school teaching swimming lessons and lifeguarding at the indoor pool at the Y. I've been exposed to concentrated chemical fumes on numerous occassions, too many to count in my many years in this business.
I have copd and "adult onset asthma". Granted I smoke, but even the doctors agree my condition goes beyond what they'd expect from just that, and I know many smokers my age nowhere near me. When I suggested it might be partly chemical (including various forms of chlorine, acid, and glue/primer) exposure from my job in the pool industry it was just scoffed at, immediately dismissed as "unlikely". I have my opinions on that subject, but this is not the place to go into that.😉
How long have people been drinking chlorinated water, swimming in chlorinated water, cleaning with chlorine, washing clothes, disinfecting toilets, removing mildew in showers, etc, etc, etc? How many lawsuits could result from this. It might be the next roundup.
I'm curious to know if this will stand up to "peer review" and the epa.🤔
I can usually identify a bromine tub as soon as I open the cover. It tickles my nose in a way that chlorine does not.
As for ozone, modern control systems deactivate it whenever any button is pressed, even the temp, and it won't come back on until 30 minutes or so after everything turns off. Older tubs do not, and improperly plumbed tubs ozonate your cover regardless of age or the control system. What's really scary is they used to sell an ozone home air purifier.😲
@JoyfulNoise my wife is the same way, and having lived in rural areas long enough I too find treated water undrinkable, in spite of growing up in StL.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
My brother lives in St Louis, in the fancy suburbs, but, like most older cities, the water distribution system there is a patchwork of modern plumbing heaped on to an ancient system of decaying pipes and drains … but at least you know you got plenty Vitamin Pb growing up 🥴

Sorry to hear about the respiratory issues. And lay off the cigarettes!! (That’s my nagging concern for you for today…) I too worked in a very chemical-intensive industry with stuff that absolutely could kill you or do serious damage on inhalation. Thankfully we always had very good environmental engineering control systems in place to deal with all the fumes, vapors and mists. BUT, even with the best systems in place, you could always tell there were chemicals in the air. I suspect one day it will all catch up with me but I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I’m just glad that phase of my life is behind me … not sure I could bring myself these days to showering and wearing pants every day …

I too only drink filtered water.

Since you're both experts but new uninitiated folks do see this ... usually lead gets covered over with calcium in the water pipes.

Sorry to hear about the copd, but if you have been smoking for two decades or longer don't quit - I have two friends that quit and it quickly killed both of them.

Sorry to hear about the copd, but if you have been smoking for two decades or longer don't quit - I have two friends that quit and it quickly killed both of them.

I am very sorry to hear about your two friends. But we have to be careful not to draw the wrong conclusions from singular cases. Even though there are always exceptions to the rule, there generally are great health benefits in quitting smoking. To add another singular case, that certainly makes me more biased towards the other side of the spectrum: My dad quit about 4 or 5 years ago after smoking for probably 60 years. I'd say his quality of life has greatly improved.

My advice for someone considering to quit is to discuss the options with a health professional, and together with that person come up with a customised plan.

I am very sorry to hear about your two friends. But we have to be careful not to draw the wrong conclusions from singular cases. Even though there are always exceptions to the rule, there generally are great health benefits in quitting smoking. To add another singular case, that certainly makes me more biased towards the other side of the spectrum: My dad quit about 4 or 5 years ago after smoking for probably 60 years. I'd say his quality of life has greatly improved.

My advice for someone considering to quit is to discuss the options with a health professional, and together with that person come up with a customised plan.

It WAS 45 years ago, maybe things have changed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.