Smith County Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi everyone. So am new ABG pool owner, less than 12 hours filled. I made the mistake of backwashing into my pool with the outlet valves shutoff causing dirt (DE I think you call it) to backflow into pool. I didn't realize at the time that my drain hose wasn't flowing water out during Backwash. In fact I checked the eyeglass for debris and found none following the cycle. In fact, pressure was also good but s/have been yellow during Backwashing now that I think about it. So when I returned to filter (following rinse) nothing happened. It was then I realized all valves were closed. Well you guessed it, when I opened the valves, I saw about 30 seconds worth of dirt fill the pool. I went ahead and left the pump in "FP" for the full 24 hour cycle to finish as I had just added sand following fill.

My question is two fold. Do I turn off the pump and wait for Dirt to settle for vacuuming OR should I let the 24 hour cycle finish hoping the water will clear then repeat the cycle until clear? Water does appear a little clearer following 12 hour run and I've been brushing to loosen any dirt and dissolve any salt below but I don't see the bottom yet. Water is cloudy but doesn't really look dirty. Its almost milky white (cloudy). I do NOT want to turn on the SWG until it clear OR is this a mistake? I'm not really sure the SWG should run until the water is clear. Need some advice.

Salt : 3000PPM
Ph : 7.8
FC : 0

Sorry for my rudimentary knowledge and terminology. Still learning via TFP :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If what you are seeing is only related to the mistake at the pad when you were backwashing (dirt/dust), then give it time. The filter "should" eventually clear it up or you can vacuum it back to the filter

However there's another issue - no FC reading. Water with no free chlorine reading is an open invitation to algae. It's getting hot in TX and you need some liquid chlorine added ASAP. You didn't post your CYA above, so that would be important to know. If you have little to no CYA, the FC will disappear quickly. Before you know it, you don't have a dirt issue but an algae issue.

Also refer to our Pool Care Basics for lots of great info.

Reactions: sfulkers
Thank you. No FC as I've not started my SWG as INTEX recommends a full 24 hour filtering following salt nor have I added any CYA. I plan on activating the SWG shortly but wasn't sure if I should start the SWG while water is cloudy? I'm probably overthinking as I'm new following the manual. I do have alot of Chlorine granules I can dissolve in water before adding so I can boost / shock the water on my own before SWG in turned on.

Brushing every couple hours appears to be clearing up the water, albeit very slowly at this point.

Correct, Algae is on my mind at the moment and why I want to follow the startup plan as close as possible.

Copy that. So for now, definitely add stabilizer via the sock method for a CYA goal of 30. At the same time, add enough liquid chlorine to get the FC up to 5 ppm today. Hold off on starting the SWG for the moment because you need to see how the FC holds for the next 24 hours.

Add the CYA via the sock method and also add chlorine to get the FC to 5ppm.
You need to get some FC into the water now.

Use PoolMath to determine the amount of liquid chlorine to add.

What CYA level are you contemplating?

In case you need this ..............

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After soaking for about 20-30 minutes, squeeze the sock often to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

In case you need this ..............

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After soaking for about 20-30 minutes, squeeze the sock often to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
Thank you for the CYA tips. I didn’t think I could add CYA until I had clear(er) water?

Water had vastly improved since this am. I did another backwash and rinse and threw in a pool floater full of Chlorine tabs I had on hand from my recently coverted saltwater hot tub. No liquid chlorine on hand at the moment, I’ll be switching the SWG in this evening in boost for an overnight session. Hopefully I can bring up the FC to 5ppm as suggested. I’ll then add CYA per the TFP calculator pending clear (or clearer) water.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Just don't be surprised if the SWG doesn't increase the FC as you hope. They call it boost or super chlorinate, but they don't make huge jumps. My advice, grab a few bottles of liquid chlorine to get the FC to the level you need, then let the SWG maintain that level.

Just don't be surprised if the SWG doesn't increase the FC as you hope. They call it boost or super chlorinate, but they don't make huge jumps. My advice, grab a few bottles of liquid chlorine to get the FC to the level you need, then let the SWG maintain that level.
Definitely have liquid chlorine on order. Thank you for everything BTW. You all are super helpful

Reactions: Texas Splash
Update. Turned out I had a pollen dump in the pool according to the pool sample I had analyzed locally. Being a newb I had no idea my Oaks would do that :( Anyway, manually vacuumed it all out sometime ago and I've been clear every since.

Attaching my final build as of Today graveled. Will probably be adding a deck soon.

Attachments

• Final w Gravel 08.01.jpg
    Final w Gravel 08.01.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.