Dirt circulating back into pool

Jul 28, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
We have had an issue the past year where dirt is circulating back into the pool rather than being filtered out. We have been using Cellulose for a few years and at first it seemed to work well. Recently, after opening the filter and thoroughly cleaning the grids of our Hayward Pro Grid 48, it is still not filtering out the dirt that has settled on the bottom. We've tried vacuuming, but it filters back through the pump and back onto the bottom of the pool. We had been told to only use half of what the bag shows to use, so instead of 12 cups, we use 6. Are we not using enough or something else?

Mechanic's Rule of Thumb: The last thing you worked on is the first thing that breaks, So go back and look at the grids and make sure none of them ripped or came unseated. Even a small tear can let a lot of stuff through.

As for substituting cellulose for DE, since I break mine down and hose off the grids, I always use 100% of what it says on the bag. If it was just a backwash, then I'd use 80%.

Grids are good, no tears and seated properly. Should I try adding more cellulose to bring it up to what the bag states to use?
If you remember exactly how many you added, sure. Remember, the grids just support the filter. It's like shredded kitchen sponges on top chicken wire, shrunk down to microscopic size. The water is supposed to go through the sponges. If there are gaps, it'll go through the chcken wire. But you'd better be confident the grids are good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.