ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need to start a SLAM and I’m having a hard time determining what the PH, TA and CYA are in my pool since it is rather cloudy today.

It looks like PH is somewhere between 7.5-8.0, after testing it with my K-2006 comparator (using R-0004) and my TF-100 comparator (using R-0014). When I put 5 drops of R-0004 into the K-2006 comparator, the PH looks like it is 7.8-8.0. When I put 5 drops of R-0014 into the TF-100 comparator, it looks like PH is 7.5. If the PH happens to be 7.8-8.0 like my K-2006 test seems to suggest, will I be able to clear up my pool? 
Chlorine was only 2 ppms when these tests were taken and pump has been running for 48 straight hours, so I assume these test results are accurate. I've included a picture of my two comparators so you can see what I'm talking about. I looked at the two comparators indoors in a brightly lighted room and came to the same conclusions. I added muriatic acid to the pool to get the PH to these levels but the acid was added 24 hours ago. PH was above 8.2 when the muriatic acid was added.

It looks like the TA is somewhere between 40-50. At 4 drops, it turns a reddish-gray color. At 5 drops, it turns bright red. Does this mean that the TA is 40, 45 or 50? If the TA is between 40-50, do I need to increase the TA with some baking soda before starting the SLAM? If so, how high should I increase it, and can I increase the TA without increasing the PH?

It looks like CYA is around 20-30. I can barely make out the dot at 30. At 20, the dot is completely gone. Does this mean that the CYA is probably 30 and I can proceed with the SLAM?

For future reference, is there another CYA and PH test that I can buy that is easier to detect and is also accurate? I can never distinguish between the different red colors on the PH test and I am always second guessing myself regarding the CYA test.

Attachments

• phtest.jpg
    phtest.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 8
TA test stops when the color stops changing. At 6 drops, any more red than at 5? If no, TA=50. If yes, then keep going until another drop results in no more color change. Ignore the last drop that didn't result in a further color change. Regardless, at levels 40-60, don't worry about TA while doing your SLAM.

For pH, you can use the lower of the two, dose some more acid if you truly want to get to 7.2 and begin the SLAM. With as low a TA as you are starting with, probably don't have to do this since the TA will NOT have much of an upward impact on pH while you are in SLAM.

Go with 30 CYA and dose FC to 12 and become one with the SLAM! You've got this.

Reactions: pjt and ba67
I need to start a SLAM and I’m having a hard time determining what the PH, TA and CYA are in my pool since it is rather cloudy today.

It looks like PH is somewhere between 7.5-8.0, after testing it with my K-2006 comparator (using R-0004) and my TF-100 comparator (using R-0014). When I put 5 drops of R-0004 into the K-2006 comparator, the PH looks like it is 7.8-8.0. When I put 5 drops of R-0014 into the TF-100 comparator, it looks like PH is 7.5. If the PH happens to be 7.8-8.0 like my K-2006 test seems to suggest, will I be able to clear up my pool? 
Chlorine was only 2 ppms when these tests were taken and pump has been running for 48 straight hours, so I assume these test results are accurate. I've included a picture of my two comparators so you can see what I'm talking about. I looked at the two comparators indoors in a brightly lighted room and came to the same conclusions. I added muriatic acid to the pool to get the PH to these levels but the acid was added 24 hours ago. PH was above 8.2 when the muriatic acid was added.

It looks like the TA is somewhere between 40-50. At 4 drops, it turns a reddish-gray color. At 5 drops, it turns bright red. Does this mean that the TA is 40, 45 or 50? If the TA is between 40-50, do I need to increase the TA with some baking soda before starting the SLAM? If so, how high should I increase it, and can I increase the TA without increasing the PH?

It looks like CYA is around 20-30. I can barely make out the dot at 30. At 20, the dot is completely gone. Does this mean that the CYA is probably 30 and I can proceed with the SLAM?

For future reference, is there another CYA and PH test that I can buy that is easier to detect and is also accurate? I can never distinguish between the different red colors on the PH test and I am always second guessing myself regarding the CYA test.
Both of those samples look like 7.5pH

Reactions: ba67 and pjt
I can never distinguish between the different red colors on the PH test
A consistent background is key. To get a consistent backlit background, hold the block in front of your computer monitor with a blank white screen displayed (I use Google's homepage). Also, try holding the block sideways or upside down. Sometimes that helps distinguish colors better. I also use two old hotel keycards to mask off areas and narrow down my decision.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 231742.jpg

Reactions: ba67
I am always second guessing myself regarding the CYA test.
You can pour the contents from the viewing tube back into the dispensing bottle and run the test several times. I normally fill to a line, glance, fill to the next line, glance, and repeat until I can't see the dot anymore. With practice, it gets easier.

Reactions: ba67 and JohnT