Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
Hi all! I see in the app there are several different options for muriatic acid. It got me thinking... why would I buy 1 over another? What's the difference? I get concentration is one aspect, but what is this 20o Baume (Old owner left me a bottle of 34.6% - 22o Baume). What about this stuff I saw recommended that "won't burn your skin", Acid Magic?

Baume is another version of concentration fanciness you don't need to worry about - you have the info you need which is the 34.6%. If you add acid based on 31.45% acid (strongest in pool math), would suggest under dosing until you get a feel for how effective it is / run out.

As for buying new acid, we mostly care about cost for intended effect. As a working concept, if you can buy 15% acid for 2 dollars or 30% acid for 10 dollars, you'd be better off buying and using more of the 15% acid for the intended effect (e.g. lower pH).

Baume is another version of concentration fanciness you don't need to worry about - you have the info you need which is the 34.6%. If you add acid based on 31.45% acid (strongest in pool math), would suggest under dosing until you get a feel for how effective it is / run out.

As for buying new acid, we mostly care about cost for intended effect. As a working concept, if you can buy 15% acid for 2 dollars or 30% acid for 10 dollars, you'd be better off buying and using more of the 15% acid for the intended effect (e.g. lower pH).
Usually the more concentrated stuff is cheaper.

Thanks! FYI, 34.6 is in my poolmath, so they must have added it behind your back. ;)

Interesting, its in the pH window but not the effects of adding window.

And so as not to lead future readers astray... As a working concept, if you can buy 15% acid for 8 dollars or 30% acid for 10 dollars, you'd be better off buying the 30% acid.

Reactions: jkarn
To add further...... half strength is almost always the same price as full strength. (When you can find full strength).

My HD and Lowes used to have them side by side for $11.99 or whatevs. Now both only have the 'low fumes' / 14%
won't burn your skin", Acid Magic?
From the Wiki :

Acid Magic
Acid Magic is basically muriatic acid (unknown strength) that is buffered using proprietary phosphate containing buffers that can, but don't necessarily, breakdown into phosphates. It may also contain a cationic surfactant in it that suppresses fumes.

Acid Magic claims to have:
  • 90% Less fumes
  • Little to no corrosion caused by fumes
  • Can't burn intact skin
Why would anyone pay $13/gal (3 times the price if regular strength MA) for something that is hardly any more safe to use???

Muriatic acid is not as dangerous as everyone thinks it is. A bottle of bleach can be way more dangerous than muriatic acid

Baume is simply a measure of relative density and its use comes form the manufacturing control processes employed at the factory. It is much easier and safer to measure a liquids density especially when dealing with a hazardous substance like concentrated mineral acids. There is direct and easily calculated relationship between HCl concentration and and liquid density of the finished product.

Reactions: jkarn